Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer processing??

Old 12-10-2002, 02:29 PM

Default Deer processing??

I decided to change butchers ,like an idiot.When I picked up my meat it was in a box 10x12in. 12in high.10pk deer steak.2 pk deer chops ,7 plastic tubes ground deer meat..This deer was a 6pt .decent size probably 130 lbs..I never got that little amount of meat before..I know theres more tenderloin chops on a deer than 2 little pks..total I might have 20 lbs.. When I picked it up I ask the guy, was that it and he said yes...Anyone else feel like they been ripped off??Needless to say I wont go back...
Old 12-10-2002, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Deer processing??

Something sounds fishy this is the reason I do all my own cutting. Its not that hard to learn and you know what your getting. I'm self taught in the cutting of deer. You can find good books on butchering. You'ld be surprised that it doesn't really take that long to do either.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:28 PM

I totally know howw you are feeling. I am feeling like I've been bored out from behind right now. What can you do about it now though?
Old 12-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Spike

I have one question, was the meat you got back boned out or did you have the bone in some? Why I ask is because I butcher all my own deer and most of my friends and even some of their friends deer every year. I know this might be hard to believe, but if you bone out a deer and do not add any beef or pork to your burger meat and you do not keep the ribs you got bac just about what you were suppose to get. I also didn't see where you had the neck made into roasts, so I would guess he/she made it into burger also. All too often a person will bring in a deer they think to be around 130-150 pounds and then expect to get 70 pounds of meat off it. I get asked all the time what I think they should have gotten back from the butcher, and most wont believe me when I tell them. The truth of the matter is if you bone a deer out, and it was 130 pounds dressed, and you do not keep the neck or ribs and you get all the fat and silver skin off of the meat, I find the average to be around 20-25 pounds of pure red meat. Hope this helps.

LIVE TO HUNT,HUNT TO LIVE.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:37 PM

I got 56 pound of Meat back... from my Button Buck this year. Some were Boneless cuts, and the rest Round Steak!

It's not Braggin if you back it up...
Old 12-10-2002, 06:50 PM

Yes it was all de-boned and tenderized.The deer was shot once through the lungs ,no meat was ruined.What is there 8-10 ribs on each side ? I got 2 small pk's of chops ..After I posted this I weighed the meat 21 lbs.We always got 40-50 lbs from the other butchers...
Old 12-11-2002, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I deboned 5 deer that would have weighed as much as your deer, the average meat haul was 40 pounds of pure meat. I say you got the shaft

Old 12-11-2002, 01:07 PM

I have butchered alot of deer {150-200}You should have recieved 40-55lbs back.I would go back to the butcher and ask him where the rest is at.

Old 12-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

Steve how did you make out this year??

Sounds like your butcher also like deer meat!!!

I get roughly 60- 70 in deboned meat then there is the hinds i make into jerky. But then again deer up here are more on the larger size 240-300 pounds

Hunt for the sport, share the outdoors and most of all be safe and enjoy it......know your
back stop when shooting!!
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/nicholal