Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Chiggers...say a prayer >

Chiggers...say a prayer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Chiggers...say a prayer

Old 09-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chiggers...say a prayer

ORIGINAL: saltflyz

2 weeks ago, Igot over a mammoth case of chiggers I got on Aug 28th. Went out today to look at another piece of property and we had chiggers all over our pants when we got back to the car. Sprayed them good with deet at the scene and rushed home for a bleach bath and hot shower. I really hope I got them before they injected their venom. I guess I will know in about 24 hours. These tiny bugs blow...
they dont inject venon. they embed themselves in your skin. and warm water is not good to use for poisons and things on the skin, becuz it opens the pores. i learned that last saturday at the doctors office for my severe poison ivy
Old 09-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Childers

Childers...Thank you for your opinion. Unfortunately, here is the deal with chiggers..they don't in fact embed

Chiggers do not burrow under your skin, as many people believe, nor do they feed on animal blood. They actually feed on the fluids in skin cells. To get the fluids, they attach themselves to a skin pore or hair follicle and inject a digestive enzyme that ruptures the cells. The enzyme also hardens the surrounding skin tissue, forming a sort of straw for sucking the skin cell fluids. The whole process irritates the skin, causing an itchy red bump that continues to cause discomfort for several days. Chiggers are only about 1/50th of an inch (0.5 mm) in diameter and so are too small to be seen with the naked eye. This invisibility is the reason so many people believe chiggers burrow under the skin.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM

how did you getinto poison ivy?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Childers

Childers...Thank you for your opinion. Unfortunately, here is the deal with chiggers..they don't in fact embed

Chiggers do not burrow under your skin, as many people believe, nor do they feed on animal blood. They actually feed on the fluids in skin cells. To get the fluids, they attach themselves to a skin pore or hair follicle and inject a digestive enzyme that ruptures the cells. The enzyme also hardens the surrounding skin tissue, forming a sort of straw for sucking the skin cell fluids. The whole process irritates the skin, causing an itchy red bump that continues to cause discomfort for several days. Chiggers are only about 1/50th of an inch (0.5 mm) in diameter and so are too small to be seen with the naked eye. This invisibility is the reason so many people believe chiggers burrow under the skin.

I am glad that some people are starting to get educated on these little sucker.This is the truth.

A shower and a wash cloth is usually enough to rid yourself of them.

If you saw them and got them sprayed and then took a shower,you should be in good shape.I have never been fortunate enough to see them.I will be sitting at home at night and feel them crawling on me and by then,I have had several bites and it is too late.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Duse500

You can absolutly see chiggers.

I will NOT go in the woods without my neopreme Chest waders sprayed down with that permanone(sp??)
Just last week
I was at the far stand(just checking things out) when I look down and see them up to just below my knees(100's if not thousands of them)As soon as i saw them I haul Ass back to the quad( about400 yards),then race home another 2 miles , jump in the pool(waders and all) strip down in the pool,scrub myself down,then run to the garage(BUCK NAKED)and give myself a complete wash down with a whole bottle of the winter green rubbing alcohal ,I then jump in the shower and scrubdown with a scrub brush,once out of the shower I wash down with another bottle of wintergreen .
Panic? You bet,They are the most God forsaken insects in the world.EVIL!!
Even the rescue squads ,fire ,& police dept carry tyveck suit's in case theres a car that runs off the road or something.

When you have to get" THE SHOT"
The needle itself is the diamiter of a #2 lead pencil and 6" long .
The part where the serum went was the size of a Big magic marker.
The serum is thick and it took a few minutes to get it all in,and it Burns the whole time.

bet that was a funny one!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 PM

[/quote]
bet that was a funny one!
[/quote]
OH YEAH ,Real FUNNY,I'm glade I amuse you...j/k

Agree with everything said"EXCEPT" ...you can see them, And when you see them RUN!
Granted the larve (sp?) is 1/50th of an inch(Buy the way,Those are the bad ones that eat ya) the adults are 1/20 of an inch. And you wont get one without the other.
Chiggers are Red ,the larvel (The bad boy) are orange ,or rust color.
I'v never measured them but I garrantee you ,Your gonna see them.
When your in the woods ,just look really close at your boots if you see a little speck that moves(they move fast) That would be them,and thier about to have a party on your a$$

Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Spike

I have never heard nor seen them before this. They must not be around these parts