Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Duse500

Default RE: Chiggers...say a prayer

[/quote]
bet that was a funny one!
[/quote]
OH YEAH ,Real FUNNY,I'm glade I amuse you...j/k

ORIGINAL: saltflyz

Childers...Thank you for your opinion. Unfortunately, here is the deal with chiggers..they don't in fact embed

Chiggers do not burrow under your skin, as many people believe, nor do they feed on animal blood. They actually feed on the fluids in skin cells. To get the fluids, they attach themselves to a skin pore or hair follicle and inject a digestive enzyme that ruptures the cells. The enzyme also hardens the surrounding skin tissue, forming a sort of straw for sucking the skin cell fluids. The whole process irritates the skin, causing an itchy red bump that continues to cause discomfort for several days. Chiggers are only about 1/50th of an inch (0.5 mm) in diameter and so are too small to be seen with the naked eye. This invisibility is the reason so many people believe chiggers burrow under the skin.
Agree with everything said"EXCEPT" ...you can see them, And when you see them RUN!
Granted the larve (sp?) is 1/50th of an inch(Buy the way,Those are the bad ones that eat ya) the adults are 1/20 of an inch. And you wont get one without the other.
Chiggers are Red ,the larvel (The bad boy) are orange ,or rust color.
I'v never measured them but I garrantee you ,Your gonna see them.
When your in the woods ,just look really close at your boots if you see a little speck that moves(they move fast) That would be them,and thier about to have a party on your a$$