Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad Scents

Old 09-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bad Scents

i used to think if it smelled really nasty its good stuff. but ive seen a afew shows and articles now where top of the line scent makers said estrous scent is actually very sweet and nice smelling. if it smells bad its cause its a mix or has gone bad. old scents have worked for me but ive noticed does and also bucks not rutting hard will sometimes spook or get weary when smelling it. just thought id pass it on since it seems like it could really help to know it.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bad Scents

I don't know about sweet... but if it smells really rank it might be spoiled.

IMHO, any scent you buy should be fresh and needs to be kept in a cool dark place and refrigerated after you open the bottle. I throw out my unused scents at the end of the season and buy new stuff as close to rut as possible in hope of getting the most recent stuff. I also harvest the urine from the deer I shoot and freeze it.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont use any attractant scents anymore becasue the stuff I used to get I can no longer find and it has been the only scent that I found that truely works, and yes it should be a sweet smell. I cant remember what the name of it was but it came in a 1 ounce clear plastic bottle and smelled so sweet you could bath in it. I used to get it a Quik Trip in Sparta Wi and now I cant seem to find it anywhere.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I dont use any attractant scents anymore becasue the stuff I used to get I can no longer find and it has been the only scent that I found that truely works, and yes it should be a sweet smell. I cant remember what the name of it was but it came in a 1 ounce clear plastic bottle and smelled so sweet you could bath in it. I used to get it a Quik Trip in Sparta Wi and now I cant seem to find it anywhere.
I know Knight and Hale make some synthetic scents that smell good,nothing like actual urine. I'm not sure I trust a synthetic scent.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, but real piss is not sweet. Make the mistake of grabbing the hind leg of a doe or a buck and you'll see. You can't get the smell off of your hand until you've washed it a few times, and it isn't sweet.

I take the glands off of the hind legs and the bladders of any deer I shoot. I like to use those scents because I know they're good, but to me, the human with the broken nose, they smell pretty much the same as any of the bottles of piss.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

The stuff I used to use, was thick, it wasnt pee, it may be simular to gland u lure but im not sure, but I have yet to find an atractant scent that even comes close to working as advertised.

ORIGINAL: Dr Andy

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

I know Knight and Hale make some synthetic scents that smell good,nothing like actual urine. I'm not sure I trust a synthetic scent.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

No scent usage here ..... I don't like ANYTHING to alert a deer to anything, odor wise.......... keep YOUR scent to a minimum, both where you walk and what you touch ..and of course, your clothing and body ...... you stand the best chance in scoring, IMO