Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who's packin' heat while bowhunting? >

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bow in hand and gun on my side
24.32%
Always packing heat; no matter what
23.65%
Gun stays in the house
52.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Old 09-18-2007, 08:05 AM

Default RE: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

side arms are for sissys
Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

How many use a bulletproof vest and full riot gear when then are in a city? Look at the odds folks! It would be more sensible to do that, other than a few instances, some of which have been noted in this thread, than pack a sidearm while bowhunting where most people bowhunt.
I don't live in the city or even close to a big one. I carry one in my pack when I trout fish during the summer too. I understand that the probability of something happening is very slim but like I say I have had two encounters. Another issue that we have are porcupines. I have arrived at the top of a stand more then a few time where one has been sitting on my foot rest.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never found a need to pack anything besides my bow.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
Spike

not for me - but we are starting to see more and more cougars, beer and other larger predators in Missouri so who knows in the future.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use to worry about the crazy folks but I figured out that other than gun season, the only time that they hunt is at night.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who's packing' heat while bow hunting?

ORIGINAL: fillae

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

My take is, if you're that afraid to be in the woods..you shouldn't be there with any weapon!
I agree. False sense of security if you ask me.
My 2propane tanks were stolen off my RV by Meth thieves. I have been told towatch out by neighbors who have come across them on their property. I am in Illinois and guess what my answer is!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have my permit to carry, so its normal for me to have it with me. After you have it for so long its just second nature to have it on you like your wallet.

Having it to defend myself in the woods from killer squirrels isn't what I carry it for. I hope I never have to pull it out to use, but better to have and need it than not to have and need it.

I am in VA where its allowed with a permit, if no permit you can open carry during regular gun season. I know when hunting on the Eastern Shore for Sieka deer on Assateague Island they required you to open carry even if you had a permit.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

on public land i wold prefer to pack a handgun but can't because i do not wont to go get a ccp beside hunting i do not realy need it but i have thought of putting a short barrel 12 ga behind my truck seat
Old 09-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Always Packin these days.....

Wolves that are protected by the fedsand have no fear of man.. like here in Idaho.. Like eating guys archery kills, especially elk.

Never know when you're gonna see a mountain lion or bear either..especially while calling elk.. I have a bear tag and cougar tag in my pocket..
Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

How many use a bulletproof vest and full riot gear when then are in a city? Look at the odds folks! It would be more sensible to do that, other than a few instances, some of which have been noted in this thread, than pack a sidearm while bowhunting where most people bowhunt.
Yeah, what if the odds aren't in your favor that one day when you meet some pyshco in the woods? Then what??

Quick Reply: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.