HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Who's packin' heat while bowhunting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/207464-whos-packin-heat-while-bowhunting.html)

Finch 09-17-2007 08:53 PM

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

I've been on some spending spree lately.:D Anyway, I bought a Glock 23 .40 cal over the weekend. I've always wanted one just to have another "toy" to tinker around with.

Well, I'm looking through the regs and see that a handgun can be carried during bow season w/ a valid CC permit. I've never really worried about toting just a bow in the woods but there has been times where a gun on my side would have been nice.

So...I'm just curious. How many of you guys are packing when bowhunting? Seems to me a gun would be one more thing to keep up with and worry about.

BTW...here she is.:D

passthru79 09-17-2007 08:54 PM

RE: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

For one its not legal in IL to carry a gun while bowhunting, and two I have way too much stuff anyway. By the time I could get to my pistol I probably wouldnt need it anymore.

johnst43 09-17-2007 08:58 PM

RE: Who's packing' heat while bow hunting?

There isn't much to be afraid of in Illinois. Maybe a rabid coon.:D I could see if there was bears or other big predators in your area how it might make it more comfortable.

passthru79 09-17-2007 09:11 PM

We might have some komokasi squirrels johnst, maybe we should think about packing.

mwaite 09-17-2007 09:28 PM

[/align]If I was still in Iowa, I wouldn't even consider it. But here in Arizona, it's a whole other ball game. Granted, there's little chance of bumping into a group of illegals with coyotes up where I'm elk hunting, but there is a chance of a mt lion or bear. Bottom line, I carry no matter what.

SevenMag 09-17-2007 09:29 PM

anytime i'm in the woods I have a pistol... be it during bow or gun season, turkey, deer, elk, bear, what have you... i ALWAYS have a back up method to protest myself incase my primary fails or is not apropriate for close quarters...

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-17-2007 09:37 PM

I have one in my vehicle duc, Glock 21 in .45 cal.

BigJ71 09-17-2007 09:43 PM

Not allowed to pack heat here in Illinois during Bow season.

stuckinthereeds 09-17-2007 10:59 PM

I never packed a sidearm while bowhunting. However, this year I ran into family of bears while hunting. A mamma and 3 cubs. it ran the other way but that started me thinking, what if. Well on Sundayin the paper there was an article about three bowhunters who have been attacked this year by grizzlies. I am thinking og carying a sidearm for now on.

southerncross 09-17-2007 11:45 PM

Back home we have seen a very sly black panther/mountain lion!! It scares the crap out of us!! If it is my own land I will carry a handgun! Otherwise will stick with the law!!