Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who's packin' heat while bowhunting? >

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Bow in hand and gun on my side
24.32%
Always packing heat; no matter what
23.65%
Gun stays in the house
52.03%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Who's packin' heat while bowhunting?

Paranoia:

Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others, sometimes reaching delusional proportions. Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and believe that certain individuals, or people in general, are "out to get them."

Description

Paranoid perceptions and behavior may appear as features of a number of mental illnesses, including depression and dementia, but are most prominent in three types of psychological disorders: paranoid schizophrenia, delusional disorder (persecutory type), and paranoid personality disorder (PPD).

Individuals with paranoid schizophrenia and persecutory delusional disorder experience what is known as persecutory delusions: an irrational, yet unshakable, belief that someone is plotting against them. Persecutory delusions in paranoid schizophrenia are bizarre, sometimes grandiose, and often accompanied by auditory hallucinations. Delusions experienced by individuals with delusional disorder are more plausible than those experienced by paranoid schizophrenics; not bizarre, though still unjustified. Individuals with delusional disorder may seem offbeat or quirky rather than mentally ill, and, as such, may never seek treatment.
Persons with paranoid personality disorder tend to be self-centered, self-important, defensive, and emotionally distant. Their paranoia manifests itself in constant suspicions rather than full-blown delusions. The disorder often impedes social and personal relationships and career advancement. PPD is more common in men than in women, and typically begins in early adulthood.

Causes and symptoms

The exact cause of paranoia is unknown. Potential causal factors may be genetics, neurological abnormalities, changes in brain chemistry, and stress. Paranoia is also a possible side effect of drug use and abuse (for example, alcohol, marijuana, amphetamines, cocaine, PCP). Acute, or short term, paranoia may occur in some individuals overwhelmed by stress.

Prognosis

Because of the inherent mistrust felt by paranoid individuals, they often must be coerced into entering treatment. As unwilling participants, their recovery may be hampered by efforts to sabotage treatment (for example, not taking medication or not being forthcoming with a therapist), a lack of insight into their condition, or the belief that the therapist is plotting against them. Albeit with restricted lifestyles, some patients with PPD or persecutory delusional disorder continue to function in society without treatment.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Ignorance is sometimes misinterpreted as a synonym of stupidity, and is as thus often taken as an insult.
In many cases ignorance is seen as a pleasant alternative to harsh reality.
[ul][*]Willful ignorance (or vincible ignorance) is a bad faith decision to avoid becoming informed about something so as to avoid having to make undesirable decisions that such information might prompt.[*]Ignorance is bliss is a phrase that comes from Thomas Gray's poem, "Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College" (1742): "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."[/ul]
Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Ignorance is sometimes misinterpreted as a synonym of stupidity, and is as thus often taken as an insult.
In many cases ignorance is seen as a pleasant alternative to harsh reality.
[ul][*]Willful ignorance (or vincible ignorance) is a bad faith decision to avoid becoming informed about something so as to avoid having to make undesirable decisions that such information might prompt.[*]Ignorance is bliss is a phrase that comes from Thomas Gray's poem, "Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College" (1742): "Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."[/ul]
Nicely put!

But you're wasting your time with Ole quicky there. He is in the Sarah Brady camp and If he had his way we would all be disarmed.

Myself, I have carried in the past and will again as soon as I get my new CCW permit for the state i'm in now.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I always wonder when I see someone lying on the ground, bleeding out from gunshots and stab wounds, whether they got to do everything they wanted to do in life. I wonder just how long it will be before their family returns to normal once they get the heart-rending news, from me, that so-and-so has just died. Sometimes, my mind then wanders to my own fate, and reminds meof that feeling you getseconds after a violent struggle, which all too frequently I find myself in, when I have just used some form of overwhelming force to save mine and my partners life, and the relief which floods over me knowing that, for at least one more night, I get to go home to my family.

In other words... if you actually ever get to see the finality of death in violent, rapidly developing unexpected situations, you would never give up your right to carry a weapon to defend yourself and others.

You can rely on the cops if you want... I am one... and I think that's stupid. Most of the time, we only make it there in time to clean up the mess and take disgusting pictures, and that's not good enough for me and my family.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

When bow hunting never. When in Detroit ALWAYS!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bring the ole' .45 XD half of the time. Or, whenever I can remember.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:42 PM

Default RE: Who's packing' heat while bow hunting?

GLock 17 with CorBon HPs