Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3-D Tournaments

Old 08-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 3-D Tournaments

Not what you're thinking, Aaron. If I go that route....I'll probably pick up a Commander. I'll still be a quick-draw. No grass grows under my feet.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

gotcha shwooo. thought that was close one...
Old 08-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I have done everything Rob/Pa Bowyer said and agree with it and then some. I got into 3-D probably like everyone else, to improve my shooting and hunting ability. Pretty soon you get caught up in the competition and you are hooked. If you try a few, it will be very enlightening. I would recommend that you use a range finder for the first few to save on arrows. After you get a feel for the distances on different size animals and conditions, try it without the rangefinder. That is more like real hunting. Used properly 3-D is one of the best things you can do in preparation for hunting season. I give 3-D credit for my one Pope and Young deer taken in 1993. I still shoot one or two during the year and try to get in a couple just before the season opens. We are very lucky out here in Arizona. There is a shoot somewhere almost every weekend.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 AM

I just shot my first 3d at a local range yesterday. I was pretty happy with myself, I only lost 1 arrow (nicked the bottom of the target and went into the creek) and shot a couple bullseyes. It was a good time and good practice.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

I feel the Same way If anyone knows of any in Conn or Mass Area please let me know I'd love to get into that myself, my friend and I are setting up our own range But I wann compete also
Thanks
Old 08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Ive never done 3-D but this weekend I shot 11 rounds of Pop-up and I tell you what, Its a blast. Anybody can just stand there for 3 or 4 mins aiming at astationary taget and hit it in the bullseye 9 out of 10 times. But for a real challenge try shooting a target that pops up at random distances and you get about 10 seconds to aim, shoot, and reload, before the next target pops up. Plus theres a moving target to replicate a deer walking at a steady pace. Now Im going to brag a bit and tell you that a perfect score is 240 and I shot a high score of 208 on day 1, taking second place to a score of 210. On day 2 I shot a 198 and took 1st place and won a treestand. I am now addicted and will be joining our local archery league as soon as it starts on 2nd week of Jan.