Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

3-D Tournaments

Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default 3-D Tournaments

I'm new to the whole bowhunting game, but since I got my bow and started shooting, I've become addicted -- not gonna be good for the ole' wallet.

Anyway, just wondered how many of you guys take part in 3-D tournaments and what the atmosphere is like. How fun is it? Are they indoor or outdoor? Do you use your hunting rig for tournaments?

If someone could just give me a brief overview that'd be great. I'm thinking this something I'll want to take a look at in the future. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Default RE: 3-D Tournaments

i've never shot a real "tournament", i just go with my wife and friends and have a good time and sling some arrows.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've done the whole 3D circuit for years, I'm past all that. I've done Cabelas, IBO, ASA, regional and states etc....it's what you want to make of it. If your interested in the whole make yourself a better hunter/shot...local shoots are great fun with your group of friends, especially if you go out to hunt the targets, one shot at an unknown distance....hunting.

I'm my biggest own competitor....I compete against me....sometimes I had great fun, sometimes I was frusterated. I've taken down the trophies, spent the money and I haven't gone on a 3D shoot in years. I'm past all that now but if you've never gone to one, it'll make you a better shot and prepare you for hunting situations (from the ground) and it'll also show you , you might not be as good as you think you are in your own back yard..lol

3D shoots can be very addicting, great fun and an all around great time, it's what you make of it.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot my first outdoor tournament, last weekend. I've shot in 5 here at home....all indoors. The outdoor was a huge challenge to me.

I'm going to shoot a few of these next year......maybe 2X a month during the off-season....just to see if I'm any good at it.

Right now I shoot my hunting rig.....but I might get a target bow for next season.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what Rob said, I started a few years ago seriously competing without any intention of becoming a PRo or anything so I for the most part got out of it what I wanted. I have a nice little wall of titles up tothe National level but I've lost the taste for it lately.
You really need the correct mindset and time to devote if you want to compete on a National level.....the rising cost of everything including time and already accomplishing some success has caused me to lose that edge for now.
We'll see how I feel in the future but that quest for perfection and your day riding on every arrow kindaburnedme out. One bad shot would ruin my entire night.
To travel to the National shoots you really need to devote a big portion of vacation time and it's time i need to spend with friends actually hunting.

So now I beat up on the locals now and then for moneybut mostly use 3D to help hone my yardage estimation and shooting form for hunting and now my traditional gear.

It seems like 3D can consume you quickly but that desire can disappear just a quickly.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:45 PM

i shoot them every week there lot of fun an you make alot of freinds an ive always used my hunting rig cause the more you use it the better you get with it
Old 08-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

i never did the tournaments...but started shooting at local archery club shoots this year. been to 4 or 5 i think and going to one this weekend coming.

i just go with a group of friends and shoot our hunting rigs. im kinda gettin sick of it though...they rely on their range finders WAY to much. i didnt mind at first..i never shot them and wasnt tryin to loose arrows..but now i know the size and such i can estimate them to a yard or 2 most of the time..i rather shoot them like im hunting..i dont care what that score card says. last time i didnt fill out the last half. next time i probably wont even take one.

good fun though. different clubs have different things. big things around here are critters in the tree on a system to lower to pull arrows..and platforms. both are different and pretty neat. i like the platforms for tree stand simulation...just wish there were more.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:55 PM

I love them, I'll go to one whenever I can. I use my hunting rig, same draw weight and everything, it really helps me get ready for hunting. I use my rangefinder as well, but only after the shot to see how close I estimated and to help dial my eye in. I definitely encourage you to go. Even if you feel retarded at your first one there will be plenty of folks who will walk you through it and help you. Just remember, you're only competing against your own worst enemy, yourself.

Ken
Old 08-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot 3-D alot lately with some guys from work. I actually competed in our grand opening shoot last week and qualified for the "shoot-offs". I however didn't shoot because I work there, it was just purely to see where I would have fallen in the pack.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I shot my first outdoor tournament, last weekend. I've shot in 5 here at home....all indoors. The outdoor was a huge challenge to me.

I'm going to shoot a few of these next year......maybe 2X a month during the off-season....just to see if I'm any good at it.

Right now I shoot my hunting rig.....but I might get a target bow for next season.
A target bow????? come on jeff keep it natural.... yep i can see it now... me goin to pull my arrows and tellin you it takes you 2hrs to watch 60minutes, while you go through your 5 minute pre-shot setup.

Quick Reply: 3-D Tournaments

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.