Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tournaments??

Old 10-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tournaments??

I have bow hunted for two years now and love every minute of it. I dont use a gun even during rifle season anymore. I was wanting to start shooting some tournaments to pass the time during summer but dont know what I should be practicing and how good I need to be shooting so I dont go there and embarrass myself. Any pointers or info would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tournaments??

I just started shooting 3-Ds this past year. don't worry about embarassing yourself. Just go have fun. I know you aren't far from me so next time I'm going expect an invite from me. I know there is one at a shop in Canton every Wednesday at 6:00. Let me know if you want to try to make it some time.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

I started shooting the first week in June and shot in my first 3D tournament the end of June. I only shot a 212 but I was not in last place. I was worried about making a fool of myself also but after I got started I had a very enjoyable experience. What I learned was it was not about the score but about the fellowship with all of your fellow archers.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are all skill levels that shoot tournaments, from the really, really good to the really, really not so good. The idea of tournament shooting is to have fun, learn how to shoot better, have fun, make a LOT of great friends and have fun. You do get the dunderheads that think it's all about winning, but they are relatively few.

There's nothing really special about having little plastic statues on the fireplace mantle anyway. I've got a couple of boxes of tournament trophies and plaques. They're nothing more than dust catchers though. I don't even bother displaying them any more, so they stay in the attic.

Honestly, the less you worry about the score and the more you just relax, enjoy the comraderie and have a good time, the better you shoot. To use the ole Nike slogan, "Just do it."
Old 10-05-2007, 10:46 AM

im guessing your talking about 3d tournements in that case if your good enought to hunt you will be fine go out and have a good time but if your talking fifa tourneyments you might want to practice alot im a archer turned hunter so I ve shot alll the tourneys if your talking about fifa send me a pm and ill give you all the details