HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   young age hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/202618-young-age-hunters.html)

graysonelement 08-17-2007 04:53 AM

young age hunters

i am 19 years old an i just wanred to know why older guys dont think someone my age knows what they are talking about i mean i kill one of the biggest deer in my county every year an people here look up to me but i go somewhere else an they act like i dont know what im talking about why is this

wis_bow_huntr 08-17-2007 05:37 AM

RE: young age hunters

Because some older hunters are stuck in ways that are just rediculous. I have found some older hunters that have been hunting 10-15 years that arent as knowladged as some of the younger hunters on this site. It amazes mehow most of us here, old and new, really put in the time and effort to learn and teach the art of hunting. Take for example: Yesterday after work I was in the archery section of Fleet Farm when a older gentleman and his teen aged son approached me and started asking me questions on stands. I gave them my honest answers to the best of my ability and tried not to tell them anything I wasnt sure of. I gave them some tips on how and where they should hang the stands during each phase of the season and told them in my honest opinion that the stand they were looking at had some pretty good reviews and was rated a good stand for the money and I was strongly thinking of purchasing the same stand to replace one of my older stands. The stand being the Big Dog Bull Dog stand. He then got to asking me some questions on ladder stands I told him if your on budget and want a good reliable, sturdy,easy touse and set up stand, the Rivers EdgeLadderstands are a way to go. Ive owned one for a few years and love it. I would have loved to stayed and chatted more with them and welcome them to the wonderful world of hunting but I had to getgoing as the wife was calling me on my cell lol.Should have left the phoen in the car.

I have been hunting for the past 17 years and theres still much more to learn and much more to teach. In my honest opinion, thebest way to learn is to get out there among other hunters in andout of your area and meet some of them andask questions,the only dumb question, is the one never asked. Any good, respectful hunter will take the time to sit and talk with you.Those who think they know it all.....look in their freezers, how much meat is in them, probably not much, they ae the ones that need the learning.

iamyourhuckleberry 08-17-2007 05:49 AM

We humans have a bad habit of judging a book by its cover...

I like Wis Bow Huntr's response. He hit the nail on the head!

Chris_H 08-17-2007 07:20 AM

Wow... this is my third time trying to type a response. My first response was an essay... but the virus on my computer deleted the window... so instead, here's my response...

No matter what you do, no ones goin to take you seriously unless you're atleast in you early 20's... and maybe not even then. Don't sweat it. I get the same thing all the time.

Rob/PA Bowyer 08-17-2007 07:30 AM

I would never judge someones knowledge on bowhunting or hunting in general on how full their freezer is or if they take a huge buck every year.

A person could certainly take a huge buck every year at the tender age of 19 by having a mentor that puts them in the right place or simply has an outstanding place to hunt. I personally know many people who have lots of large bucks on their wall with no comprehension of what whitetails are all about so how do you judge knowledge. The fact they sit in the same stand every year and kill a big buck with a rifle isn't knowledge other than they know that stand produces but might not even know why. Their grandfather could have built it and that's their knowledge.

No one can really say who or who doesn't know what they are doing. I can usually tell immediately upon talking with person with a few little quiz questions, especially when it comes to bowhunting and bow "manipulation/setup etc". I love doing that at local shops...LOL

Fact is, and I also like some of wis's response, respect comes with age however they don't necessarily go hand in hand. If I came to your area to hunt, I would trust you in setting me up but I would however ask many questions about the setup as I would suggest you do the same if you came to hunt with me.

Knowledge...interesting question.....none of us know it all and I really like GregH's signature....This isn't it however it sums it up......I try to learn something new every time I go afield.

Chris_H 08-17-2007 07:46 AM

agreed rob

Sliverflicker 08-17-2007 08:14 AM

Dont know what the heck your complaining about, Im 52 and have2 rooms full of Big Bucks and no one listens to me! :D
Hang in there.

psebwhntr16 08-17-2007 08:55 AM

Rob is dead-on here. Im only 18, and been bowhunting since I was 9. Fortunately, I've had some great teachers help me out along the way. Anyone can learn from anyone. Thats the great thing about bowhunting. I believe no matter what your age or your success, the day you stop listening to what people say, is the day you lose my respect. Everyones been in camp with the know-it-all...Whenever I go to a hunting camp I can always pick out the real killers. The guys that sit back and listen to the guides, and listen to the other hunters, rather than tell the guide what stand they prefer, or tell other hunters about what hot **** they are and how their equipment is superior to everything on earth. I usually dont open my mouth about any issues on these forums because Im too busy sponging up the information you veterans like gregH & Rob are putting out there. And that sums it up from me.

Paul L Mohr 08-17-2007 09:06 AM

The cold hard truth is that teenagers think they know everything, even if they don't. You will never get older people to think different. You will have to earn the respect of your elders, so get used to it. Once they figure out you have half a head on your shoulders and are not full of crap they will except you a bit more. But once you reach a certain age it is pretty easy to spot the BS wanna be's. Don't try too hard to be excepted either, just be who are you.

My advice on the internet is to just not let anyone know how young you are.

I could show you some posts on this very site that describe what I am talking about. Young guys talking crap like they know everything but those that really know see right through it and just shake their heads. These are the young guys that ruin it for people like you;).

I will give you a tip to help you be more excepted on the forums. Try using spell check, proper grammar and capitalizing letters that should be. I normally don't crack on people for this stuff, but it smacks of the young punk chat/IM generation. But then again even if your 50 and can't figure out how to compose a sentence or small paragraph half way correctly not many will take you serious on some of these forums. Just something I have noticed anyway.

Paul

MN/Kyle 08-17-2007 09:12 AM

Good post, Paul.