Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 young age hunters >

young age hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

young age hunters

Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 PM

Default RE: young age hunters

Thats the second time in two weeks I have agreed with bawanjim. Now that's scary.

In a nutshell, a certain amount of respect is due to a person, any person, untill it is proven that respect is not warranted. After that initial amount of respect, the rest is earned. Not necessarily earned for knowledge, but earned by positive actions in certain fields of endeavor. I may respect someone as a woodworker, but not as a hunter, or vice-versa. I may respect someone for their respectful treatment of others, but not their skills as a brain surgeon.

Think of it this way. If respect was just given, and not earned, then what would be the point? Everyone would have it, and by that fact it would cheapen respect to the point it was meaningless. You cannot have mountains without valley, no highs without lows. The world must be kept in balance. It seems that political correctness these days says that "every one can be winners." That is a lie, and is ruining our youth. For someone to win someone else must lose. To tell the one that lost that he is just as good as the one that put in the effort to win, is a terrible disservice. Exemplary performance should be rewarded with respect, not pushed to the side to protect someones sensitive feelings.

I tell my boys that there is nothing so hard to gain, but so easy to lose, as their reputation. It must be bought with good decisions, and protected as such. Then and only then does it have value.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Critr-Gitr

Thats the second time in two weeks I have agreed with bawanjim. Now that's scary.
It just goes to show that there might be somehope for Rob & you after all.

It's been a trying experiencebut I won't give up on either of ya. Now If I can just get Jeff to see the light and come around........
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 PM

Chris that post is exactly what I was talking about. With an attitude like that you will simply never get it until you get older. You don't demand respect nor do you expect it for no reason. I don't care if it is a stereo type or not, it is the cold hard truth. I've been there I know.

I probably can't explain it to you, simply because you are too young to wrap your mind around it. You already think you deserve my respect right off the bat. And you are talking about a different kind respect anyway. Having someone respect you as a person or young adult is entirely different than them respecting your opinion on a particular subject matter.

I'm pretty sure anyone here over the age of 30 knows exactly what I am talking about.

ORIGINAL: Chris_H

If I were one to determine someones knowledge/respect, it would be based on their actions, personality, and what they say. Not because of their age.
I thought that is pretty much what I said? Isn't it? That is earning someones respect. Why should someone respect your opinion if you sound like an idiot and act like a fool regardless of age? But of course somoene is going to be biased because of your age, lack of age is going to give someone the impression you have less experience. It is up to you to prove otherwise.

Lets say you walk into a shop and there is a 17 or 18 year old behind the counter that sounds like a fool and looks like a kid that doesn't want to be there or cares. You know what I mean talks on his cell phone, has his pants hanging down to his knees and doesn't look at you when he talks. Then there is a 35 year old that sounds like he knows what he is talking about and acts like a professional. Who do you think I'm taking advice from or letting work on my $1,000 bow? The young guy might be an olympic class archer with 10 years in archery and the older guy might have started yesterday. However I don't know that do I.

And that isn't even taking into acount when young guys start talking about things they think they know about but it is obvious from their comments they really don't have much experience on the matter. They go by what worked for them once, or what they heard someone else say that they thought sounded good. Or they read it in a magazine or online. You might think you know what your talking about, and as far as the technical side of it goes you may to some degree. However that doesn't really make up for 30 years of experience. And the older you get the better you can see right through that kind of crap.

Paul
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

It would help sway me Jim if those were your words.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It would help sway me Jim if those were your words.
You lost me ? What words?
OK
Forget it I got ya the copied post ............

I was right about the wind thou..........
Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Dominant Buck

LOL...have a good weekend, Jim.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey its Friday afternoonand time for a cold beer and a good weekend in the woods.

Have a great one ,Jim
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul and littlechief, I understand, and I agree. I too would trust an adult more than someone my age. And, I know thatany individual adult will take another adults knowledge over mine simply because of the fact that they are older, UNLESS, that individual knows me.

Im not like any other teen though. I'm not the invincible; the incredible hulk. I ask as many questions as I give answers. I don't fly 30 miles an hour over the speed limit. My record is clean; I have never had a run-in with the law. I respect my elders... never in your life will you hear cuss any adult out. Even when I'm am the one recieving crap from an older individual, I still give respect. "Yes sir/ No sir and Yes ma'am/ No ma'am" are second nature to me.

Like many people have said, just because you've killed deer doesn't mean that you know everything about hunting.

This will be my 7th deer season. Just last year I killed my first 3 deer... a spike, and 2 6pts.

50% of my knowledge about deer hunting I learned on my own... I never had someone teach me to hunt. Many times someone has placed me in a stand, and I've seen deer. Did I know why I saw activity at their stand? No. Did they tell me why? No.

I learn new things every day, especially from this website. I'm a beginner bowhunter... this is my first season. I'm here to gain experience and share what I already know. And trust me... I will not tell you that something works without testing it for consistency. Hardly will I take anyones word.

What this all boils down to is that I know that my word is worthless to a stranger my senior. I've accepted that. I get that crap all the time. Here's one time when an adult didnt take my word; I'm not sure what happened to his truck, but I'm sure it wasn't good for it: I was staying the night at my property for a 3 day hunt. It was about 1 in the afternoon, and I was trying to think of something to do. My truck was 200 miles overdue for an oil change, so I decided to head down to the local car shop; a little place,and pick up some oil. I walked in the front door and listened in on a clerk and a customer... it seemed that both of them new each other pretty well (I don't think either of them new what they were talking about). The customer wanted to know what kind of oil for his truck, which just so happens to be the same truck as I have, same year. I walked up to the counter with my oil, and told the customer that his truck uses 5w-30. His "buddy" looked at me awkardly and said, "No, little kid, I'm pretty sure it takes 5w-20." (when i was getting my oil in the back I could hear the clerk say "I'm not sure if it's 5w-30 or 5w-20.") Not only did "little kid" make me angry, but just this guys attitude and ignorance angerd me. I looked at the customer and said, "If you want good for you're truck you'll fill it with 5w-30." (This truck takes 5w-30... it says in the owners manual and I called theToyota to find out)I payed for the oil and walked towards the door. As I was leaving, the clerk said, "You should change your trans. fluid every 100,000 miles as well." Are you kidding me? 100,000 miles? How about try ever 40,000 bro... "Comin Scinse" would tell you that is way too long for any tune-up.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:32 PM

I know what you, beacuse I have the same problem at the bow shop every so often. I'm 17 and I have learned a lot about bow hunting since I was 14. There was a guy looking at arrows and he kept asking me all these questions and I did answer most, but he wouldn't take a simple answer for anything. I always had to explain every detail. Then my buddy, who is 24, comes over and gives him one simple answer on a question and the guy is satisfied. The same deal with my step-dad comes up to. He is stuck on the way he always has deer hunted all his life. If I put in my two cents on anything it is wrong. I hate it, but I'll except it for now.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:33 AM

Hey it's not just teenagers guys, you have the same problem at 30 and 40 from guys that are 60 years and older sometimes. They still think of you as some punk kid that thinks he knows it all. So don't think when you "grow up" it will go away because it doesn't.

Paul

Quick Reply: young age hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.