Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 young age hunters >

young age hunters

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

young age hunters

Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: young age hunters

And thats what we dont understand, paul. why should we have to earn their respect? And I know many adults probably think, "I had to earn my respect, so you'll have to earn yours." IMO, yall shouldn't of had to earn respect either.

Is every teenager unrespectable just because of his age? It's a stereotype... and just that.

If I were one to determine someones knowledge/respect, it would be based on their actions, personality, and what they say. Not because of their age.

You should not have to hide your age for someone to respect you.

I've had people not take me seriously because of my age many times. I was talking to someone on another website about politics... not my favorite subject, but whatever. I stated my opinions, and the guy respected me. He asked me how old I was. I told him 17, and this guys attitude completely changed. It went from "I respect your opinion" and "Agreed," to "Thats incorrect," "I don't believe that," and "you're too young to understand."
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Paul on the grammar aspect, it is hard to take someone serious who uses excepted instead of accepted. JK
Old 08-17-2007, 10:21 AM

Im 19 as well and i get the same response from some of the older generation, but a few of the guys i have started to hunt with used to be that way and all i have done is proven to them that i know what im talking about. With lots of the older generation thats what i have had to do and lots of them are actually surprised as to how much i do know, and lots of that knowledge has actually come from the computer i have learned tons of stuff just on this site and a few others, and that is something that the older generation isnt aware of cause they never had a computer to give them knowledge on hunting all they had was a dad or grandpa so the only reason they may not think u know that much is cause u are young and you have only been hunting for a few years with your leader so therefore there is no way you could know that much.But it doesnt really bother me cause while they are judging me im puttin meat in the freezer and racks on the wall, so let them judge.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: graysonelement

i am 19 years old an i just wanred to know why older guys dont think someone my age knows what they are talking about i mean i kill one of the biggest deer in my county every year an people here look up to me but i go somewhere else an they act like i dont know what im talking about why is this
Killing big, mature deer every year doesn't necessarily mean you know what you are doing. Anybody can aim and pull a trigger on a mature buck. Killing mature deer every year could just mean you are on an incredible piece of property.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong." ---

It rarely occurs to teenagers that the day will come when they'll know as little as their parents.

There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate.

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.

Hire teenagers - while they still know everything.

Oh, to be only half as wonderful as my child thought I was when he was small, and half as stupid as my teenager now thinks I am.

Peak mental activity undoubtedly occurs between the ages of 4 and 18. At 4 we know all the questions, and at 18 we know all the answers.

[]

Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is how I see it. Nobody knows everything but, if you have been around the game longer than someone chances are that you may know more about it than they do. I myself haven't been around bowhunting for that long, but I have been around hunting for a long long time. I feel I know quite abit about whitetail deer but am still learning about bowhunting. I did have a very knowledgeable person teach me what I do know and am very grateful to him for that. Sometimes it is better to sit back and listen to the oldtimers than to tell them something that they may know more about.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong." ---

It rarely occurs to teenagers that the day will come when they'll know as little as their parents.

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.

Oh, to be only half as wonderful as my child thought I was when he was small, and half as stupid as my teenager now thinks I am.

Peak mental activity undoubtedly occurs between the ages of 4 and 18. At 4 we know all the questions, and at 18 we know all the answers.

[]
Thats is very true. I still think i know all the answers
Old 08-17-2007, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

And thats what we dont understand, paul. why should we have to earn their respect? And I know many adults probably think, "I had to earn my respect, so you'll have to earn yours." IMO, yall shouldn't of had to earn respect either.

Is every teenager unrespectable just because of his age? It's a stereotype... and just that.
Chris,
You don't have to earn our respect. Every person deserves respect, and I give them the respect they deserve. However, the fact thata person exists only demands a certainlevel of respect. The rest has to be earned. That's a simple fact of life.
That may not make sense, but here's an analogy: I'm in the Navy, and I'm an enlisted man. An officer, just by virtue of the fact that he's an officer, and the nature of his job as a "leader by profession" deserves respect. The uniform and the rank insignia commands a certain level of respect. That being said, the "person" that is the officer still has to earn the respect of those he leads. I've always used an old saying when trying to explain this.... "The uniform only commands so much respect... the rest has to be earned."
It's the same way in life. If I meet you or any other teenager on the street, I will never look down on your or think of you as inferior in any way. You have my respect by default. Your actions are the determiningfactor in whether or not that respect remains or increases. How do you carry yourself? Do you respect yourself? How do you treat others? How do you talk to people in a position of authority?
I've been in situations where I've heard youngsters, when confronted byan authority figure, respond with something like "Who the f*** are you? What kind of f*****g b******t is that?" My respect for them goes right out the window. Problem is, I've seen some adults do this same thing.
When it comes to bowhunting, this year will be my first. Who am I to question the input of some of the 15 & 16 year olds who've been bowhunting for 3 or 4 years? It all depends on the person who's giving the input. Ifhe/she comes off sounding like some snot-nosed, smart***punk with no respect forhimself/herself, authority or anything at all, I'm not interested in what they have to say regardless of their experience.
Those of us who are older have made the same mistakes the younger folks will inevitably make, and NORMALLY, we're wiser for the experience. NORMALLY, we control our emotions. NORMALLY, we weigh what's said and not the person saying it. I keep capitalizing NORMALLY because there are exceptions to that everywhere, even on here.
Even though I'm older, 43 to be exact, this is my first year bowhunting, as I've said before. There are some on here that don't take what I say seriously because of that. That's okay with me. Some folks will always think they're better than someone else forone reason or another. In that case, refer back to paragraph 3. How much respect do they deserve????
Old 08-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

[]
Rarely do I quote bawanajim and agree.....I agree.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

This is not good but if i were 30 or 40 i wouldnt rely on a 19 year olds opinion, and im 19 as well

Quick Reply: young age hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.