Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spot & Stalk

Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spot & Stalk

So what you are telling is that mornings I would be up high and glassing and late afternoon evening be down lower. Of course I will have to do some checking of area like you said. But please correct me if I haven't understood you correctly.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
OGW

Neb, I dont know if it will help you much...
I have stalked whitetail before and have had success when stalking during high windsand/or rainwhen they are more likely to bebedded down. I always stalked into the wind so it hit me directly on the face.
Good Luck on the Mulies...the videos of people doing that looks like a Ton Of Fun!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:32 AM
neb
Typical Buck

I really do want to thank everyone that has replied. It is alot of common sence but it is nice to talk to people that may have had success stalking. The termal thing is really something I guess I never thought much off so I did learn something along with many of the other tips. I will post on my sucess if that happens. I do have a passion for mules and the tough country I live in and always a blessing to be out in the badlands. I might be differant then most but getting an animal out of the back country no matter how hard it is can be some of the most rewarding time of the hunt.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:52 AM

Invest in the best binos you can afford and use them a lot! Hunt the area with your eyes, not your feet.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:56 PM

Neb, sorry for the delay, I am a paramedic so I get to check this in between calls, I start high on a ridge and glass and glass some more. When you see the bucks you can make your plan with the knowledge of the thermals it will help in planning. If you see them bed down, perfect. It gives you time and better for landmarks.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

This is my first year bow hunting, but I have hunted mulies with a rifle and have been scouting them for years using spot and stalk method. You are going to get busted more often then not. Like others have said move slowly. If you are busted, drop to the ground and lay down. Don't move a muscle.The deer will slowly walk away and find close cover a lot of the time. Back out a ways until you can find another approach angle. I have waited well over an hour on several occations beforeI could move again without spooking the deer.Good camo helps.The only part of my body not in camo is mytrigger or release hand. I have had a lot of deer confused on what I was and theycome close to get a better view. I had a doe come within 20 yards of me about a month and a half ago. She was real curious as to what I was. I also like to get within range ofheavy coverthat I think deer are in and make a small sound to see if anything is in it. I first wait a while. Then I throw a small rockas far away as I can to make just a littlesound. This can get a beddeddeer up. That is how I got my whitetailbuck last year during rifle season.

I may learn a little more in the next couple days. Speed Goat season opens tomorrow and am hoping to put a stalk on a couple with my bow. Sunrise can't come soon enough.