Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spot & Stalk Whitetails? >

Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

Old 12-12-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

Spotting and stalking whitetails with a bow? Has anyone ever had success with it? I have come really close but haven't had any luck making the shot. I can't spot them while there bedded very well either? Any tips or ideas?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

I've tried It a few times and have been successful once. As for tips and Idea's, It's really no different then hunting out of a stand, keep the wind In your face and move very slow and patiently.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing better than being successfull stalking a deer with your bow. I think it's the coolest thing going. I've done it and been successfull many times. Standing corn is my specialty for some reason [:-]. Wind in your face and wet grounds are key. When you think you are going slow enough for moss to start growing on you is when you should slow down. Oh yeah when you stop moving always stop in a position where you'll be able to draw and make a shot if need be.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Dominant Buck

I wish our terrain lent itself to that. I don't see it happening, here. Will and I discussed it when he was here (I'd like to try it with the longbow).

He says...."Fat chance".
Old 12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell I cant even do it with a gun![:@]
Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I wish our terrain lent itself to that. I don't see it happening, here. Will and I discussed it when he was here (I'd like to try it with the longbow).

He says...."Fat chance".
What kind of terrain do you have?
Old 12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Most all of our woods are hardwoods. I'm talking about the land I have access to hunt. Even in Sept......we still have crunchy leaves from the previous year on the ground. Also....For the most part....I don't have access to their bedding areas on my hunting grounds (they bed right off of it). So I'd have to sneak up on them under an oak tree, feeding.

Wish me luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most all of our woods are hardwoods. I'm talking about the land I have access to hunt. Even in Sept......we still have crunchy leaves from the previous year on the ground. Also....For the most part....I don't have access to their bedding areas on my hunting grounds (they bed right off of it). So I'd have to sneak up on them under an oak tree, feeding.

Wish me luck!
Sounds like trying to stalk one in the middle of a cut corn field.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

It can work. Wind in your face is key!. Also, having thesun on your back is helpful i have found.
I'll probably be trying it this weekend.
Good luck!!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like the rush you get when YOU are walking up on them. Ya know the feeling when a deer is approaching you from you stand? I think it's magnified by 10x's when you are the one approaching them on their level.

Quick Reply: Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.