Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

near fall

Old 08-12-2007, 09:57 PM
OGW

Default RE: near fall

I have a piece of rope attaching the Top Section to the Bottom Section of my API Grand Slam Climber.
It's actually attached to the straps that you place your feet into. There's a small section of rope going between the foot straps and the longer piece, connects in the middle of that,then runs up to the top section. It's connected to the top section with a tauntline hitch so it's adjustable to the correct length before I start climbing any higher.
The rope is as long as this pictures "Camo" rope before being adjusted.
Here is how I attach this rope(in RED)

I've found that when I need to put my feet into the straps it's much easier to simply pull up on that rope in the darkness of the morning.
I feel the length of that piece of rope is whats important. It is just long enough so that it's tight between the two sections with me sitting comfortably on the top section. This way it can never slip too far that it's hard to get it back to where it needs to be at anytime. I'm never over-extending the distance between the two sections when climbing either.
I also use a Hunters Safety System full body harness whenever my feet leave the ground. In one of the pockets in the vest is my Gerber knife for any emergency if needed.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Glad ya didnt get really hurt, I dont use climbers at all just for that exact reason, I had one do the same quite a few years back and just got too shaken to keep using them.. I also carry a very sharp knife at all times on my belt just incase I fall out of the tree and am hanging their, I would like to think I could reach my climbing sticks but ya never know...
Old 08-13-2007, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Paul, it will be difficult at first but once you get the technique down it is pretty easy. Yes I do take the spikes off in the stand most times if notevery time,they make to much noise on a metal stand.

When you get the rope and knots so you can tie them without fail every time then let me know and we can take about the technique of asending the tree. So many things to learn.

Paul
Old 08-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

It's actually attached to the straps that you place your feet into. There's a small section of rope going between the foot straps and the longer piece, connects in the middle of that,then runs up to the top section. It's connected to the top section with a tauntline hitch so it's adjustable to the correct length before I start climbing any higher.
The rope is as long as this pictures "Camo" rope before being adjusted.
Here is how I attach this rope(in RED)

I like the idea of having a piece of rope tied to the boot straps to pull them open so I can insert my feet. I don't like bending over to lift up the straps. I disagree with your placement for a couple of reasons. The first being the straps are not designed for a lot of tension. I would be affraid of one of the ropes breaking and the bottom section falling all the way to the ground. The other thing is you want to have the rope lock in the bottom section in case of a fall. I would suggest attatching the top rope to at least the center of the top climber and the back (closest to the tree) of the bottom climber. This way the top section will grab in and the bottom will be forced to grab into the tree. I would also suggest using two ropes to tie the two sections together. This way the bottom section will be square to the tree. I tried it once with one rope and the bottom section stopped at a steep angle to one side. I couldn't position it flat to where I could stand on it. I would also try to use some kind of adjustable strap. This way you can extend it out to climb and retract it once you reach your height. I also adjust the length so that it doesn't go much further than my hips. I don't want to extend down to reach it with my feet.

My 2 cents worth of climbing knowledge.

Reid
Old 08-13-2007, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cptleo1
I learned this from a Sycamore tree in OHIO, very slick bark.In total darkness thebottom section slipped down 12-15 feet.
Ive done the same thing, but I was only about 6 feet off the ground when I started sliding. Bad bad feeling.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Surf62 I think i understand what you are talking about. I had been on that site before because i was interested in climbing with ropes because i thought it might be a quick way up a tree and i would be able to carry less wieght with me to go in deep in the woods . I just could not figure out the easy way to do this . I wish i could see someone do this then it would make more sence and i think i would be able to do it .maybe if i did talk to you on the phone i would get a better understanding of climbing with ropes . P.M. me and i will give you a call

[/align]
Old 08-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Ok Bob I will shoot you a PM and we will see what we can accomplish. Get a rope it does notmatter the size as long as it is 2.5x the height of whatever you are going to toss it over plus 12 feet to tie in the saddle(bowline). I am going to try and get some pics of my set up this weekend. It may help.

Paul
Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks Paul i'll be away till sunday then i can resond to you . I look forward to seeing the pics

[/align]