Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fall away?'s

Old 07-19-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Fall away?'s

I just got my new Extreme VFT today and its killing me to wait to get my accesories on it. I am looking at getting either a Trophy Taker or NAP Quicktune rest. I need something easy to set up and tune.

I have a few guys that shoot the trophy taker shakey hunterand like it but one has a pretty fast bow and said getting it set up was a real bugger . His bow was the fastest of the 3and had a heck of a time getting it tied in right on the cablethat his fletching would clear before the arm fell. The slower bows didntseem to have the problem?Is this common? this Extreme VFT certificatesays it was shooting 275 fps at a 26" draw length and 350gr arrow. My draw is 27" so it may be a little quicker.

The NAP Quicktune looks easy since it replaces the slide and would be easy to adjust until it was right, just loosen one screw and move the string. Where the trophy taker would need to tie in then shoot then re-tie if needed

Anyone have any recommendation between the two? I am picking between these due to the ease of purchase they are in stock andI wont have to wait.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Fall away?'s

I had a Trophy Taker Original on my last bow and it worked flawlessly ,but now I have a MZE on my Patriot Dually and it work's flawlessly as well .The ?Muzzy come's with a instructional video, if you follow the step's to setting it up you'll have absolutely no problem's with it and every time you re install it later it go's on faster .I can put this rest on with my eye's closed now .Id definately give the Muzzy Zero Effect some close consideration,I'm sure you would really like it.

nubo
Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 AM

If you want a drop a way there plenty to choose from. Off the top of my head I'm not sure how the rest you are talking about works. The only ones I have heard that have problems with really fast bows is the Inertia driven rests. Like the ones you have to cock in the up position and the motion of the bow or something trips the rest.

If it is a cable operated rest the speed should not matter if the rest is set up properly to begin with. Any of them should work. I personally like the Muzzy Zero effect and Trophy Ridge Drop Zone. However I could not get the Muzzy to work on my Mighty Mighty because of the lack of cable travel. The muzzy is a driven away rest, not a fall a way. You need to have enough cable movement for it to work right. I have heard of others getting them work though. Maybe I didn't play with it enough? Oh well, it was an excuse to try a different rest. I'm trying a bodoodle next time I think.

As far as using a prong rest. I used to have a micro 3000 by NAP, well I still have it but I ruined it trying to turn it into a drop away. I messed the spring up or something. They work pretty good, but in my opinion the GFK's are built better. I have a Platinum Premier that is just an awsome prong rest. They make others that work basically the same for less money though. I think the 3-D rover is one of them? Something like that. They are built VERY solid.

Like I said though, NAP makes a good product too. I just feel the GFKs are a bit beefier is all.

Paul
Old 07-20-2005, 09:29 AM

Oh, I'm sorry you were talking about one of the NAP drop a ways. I have never used one them. One of the few I have not tried. I have heard decent things about them though. I thought you were talking about a fixed prong rest.

Paul
Old 07-20-2005, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the NAP Quiktune 2000 drop away. I love it. The 5 minute installation is BS, but it only took me an hour to install it and adjust it to centershot. I had to read the instructions three times to completely understand it (the photos can be somewhat confusing). When I paper tuned it, I was shooting bullet holes at 6 feet on the third arrow (two minor adjustments). Backed up to 12, 18, and 24 feet and the tune held true. I'm shooting better groups consistently (1 1/2" 5 arrow groups at 20yards; good for me). I don't regret going with the Quicktune. I hope this helps!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also have the NAP Quicktune 2000 dropaway. I love mine. It's been very reliable and quiet and has never let me down.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 PM

I do not have any experience with the Trophy Taker rest so I cannot comment on it.

I have used the NAP Quick Tune 4000 on my Buckmaster G2 and I loved it. It was easy to setup, quiet and fast. Never had any problems with clearance. It would not work on my '05 Defender VFT. There is not enough left adjustment to get the correct center shot. You may have the same problem with your Extreme VFT. I made a call to NAP and they told me that they had a new block that holds the prongs for this problem. They sent it to me and it looks like it has about a 1/4" offset to correct the problem. I did not install it since I purchased a QAD Ultra Rest before I received the block. That rest took some fiddling with to get it right. I had to increase the spring pressure to get it to fall away fast enough like the problem that Paul describes. My setup right now is pushing 300 fps and the fletching was just hitting the prongs before they fell away. Right now I'm shooting bullet holes in the paper test and my groups keep getting smaller the more I shoot my new bow. I would recommend this rest also since it's in the same price range. It's a drop away with total containment.

Whatever rest you get, I would suggest attaching the cord to the lower cable instead of the slide. The Bowtechs do not have a lot of cable slide travel so the rest will not react as quickly. Paul also mentioned this.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just put one of the VGB Kaz-Away on my new Mighty Mite, outstanding rest, plus it holds your arrow in place until you draw. I had the ultimate fall away on my Hoyt for 2 years and it also work flawlessly!

http://www.vitalbowgear.com/arrow_rests.cfm
Old 07-21-2005, 12:49 PM

I have that same rest, but the one I have was put out by SME. I was not really impressed with it to be honest. Two of the screws stripped out while I was ajusting it and I had to set it up fairly nock high to get it to work. It actually suggested the arrow be at least one inch above the shelf I think. I know when mine was set up the arrow was above the mounting hole instead of even with it.

The arrow holder worked pretty well though, other than getting fletching contact if you don't set it up correctly because it doesn't drop away as far as some of the other rests.

Mine was the linkage version simular to the Muzzy rest. The muzzy is better in my opinion.

Maybe they changed them since the one I got. They look pretty much the same to me though.

Paul

I edited this post because I will admit it was a bit harsh and I didn't really convey things the way I wanted.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

The arrow holder worked pretty well though, other than getting fletching contact on it because it doesn't drop away as far as some of the other rests.
I just went thru this with some yahoo at another shop my buddy bought his new mathews from. This guy said the same thing about the fletching contact. He guaranteed me that mine would have wear on top of the arm. He was wrong. I have had this on my bow for 2 years with countless arrows thru it, not a scratch. So I called a few shops around town that sold VBG rests and they all said if this happens it was set up wrong! Who ever set this up for you I would go get my money back because they had no clue to what they were doing. JMO
The owner of the shop I bought my Bowtech from showed me his bow and he has had the original rest 4.5 years old not a mark either. No bushing wear, no stripped screws, nothing you mentioned. I hunt with 5 buddies that all have VBG rests and no problems whatsoever.
Oh yeah the guy I bought mine from his name is Kaz, as in "Kaz-Away" I trust him! Its hard to find a good shop when ya do stick with it! JMO!!!!

Quick Reply: Fall away?'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.