Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? >

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

I like Big John's answers.Personally I would make a distinction between close friends or relatives versus an acquaintance or more casual friend.
Like others have said unfortunately you have to be very careful as to who you open up your hunting area's to.I have one friend that I bow hunt with.We set many stands and either one of us can use any stand that we choose to and not have one ounce of concern about petty things.
I rifle hunt out west with four other friends and I would scout my butt off to put any one of them in position to kill a great buck.The reason for that is they are close friends and I know they would do the same for me.
To summarize,there would be some folks that would have no restrictions and some that would.Very likely though the one's that would have restrictions wouldn't be invited at all.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

To me, I guess it depends on whether you consider these guys (and they consider you) "friend" or not, as to whether I think it's selfish, or not.

If these are just some guys you know and you want to engage their service at killing some doe(s), ina hunt in which you may or may not join them, then I can understand your point.

However,as a friend, I don't think youshould ever put restrictions on another, if the only reason to do it was so that you could possibly have an opportunity at the same animal you asked your "friend" to pass on. What's more important? A friend? or a deer???

I had a good friend growing up whose family farm bordered my family farm. We hunted and fished together a lot growing up and although deer weren't extremely numerous on our farms in those days, we had both killed deer on the other's farm with no problem. We used to talk as young adults about getting another place jointly together. My friend graduated from college and started making real money before I did. He went with his brothers (who I also hunted with a lot, back in "the day") and bought some land. He called me up right after they closed on it and I expressed how happy I was for him.

Then he said " In a year or two you can come hunt with us on this new property...after we get our (their) "spots" picked out." I said "ok, sure" but later decided "forget that". After thinking about it for a while, I asked myself what kind of friend would say that. In the grand scheme of things, who cares who gets what spot? god forbid his friend should have a better "spot" than him. Like our "spots" had to be permanently assigned or something.

I ended up buying some other land jointly with some other guys I know as a kind of club. We are each allowed to takeone guest per hunt. The first yearwe ever hunted it, I took a good friend of mine. He went up a hollow that looked good to him and killed a really nice buck. Ever since then, most times when he goes with me or another friend of his that's also an owner, he goes up that same hollow usually. Heck we've even named it "Dave's hollow" andusually stay away from it if he happens to be out with us that day. No big deal. He's my friend. I'm just as happy to see the look on his face after he's killed something as I am to kill it myself.

That's what friends are for.

Sorry so long
Old 08-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Totally wrong of these guys to flat out tell you, "thanks for inviting me on your property... but I'm gonna do what I want and not you tell me to." I have invited people on my property to do the exact same thing... thin some does. And believe it or not, I had about two fellas tell me the exact same thing. They are unwelcome on my property. And it kinda depends how they are in relation to you... if they are friends, it might be different. But I had just recently met these guys... and they are already disrespecting me! Unacceptable.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

However,as a friend, I don't think youshould ever put restrictions on another, if the only reason to do it was so that you could possibly have an opportunity at the same animal you asked your "friend" to pass on. What's more important? A friend? or a dam deer???
Therein lies the conundrum. I don't NEED anyone in there, that badly. I thought I could ask them to help me out.....and at the same time provide them with an opportunity to put some meat in their freezers. This gift horse will undoubtedly be a little more tight-lipped in the future.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:11 PM

I think that you were being more than fair in offering them the opportunity to come and help harvest some does with the chance of having the enjoyment to see some nice bucks. My brother works for a farmer and they only shoot big bucks but don't harvest hardly any does. Usually the farmer allows the rest of our family to come out during the late season and only harvest does. We have been very grateful for that opportunity and have also had the pleasure of seeing some monster bucks that we would probably not get to see anywhere else. People should learn to respect the wishes of the people inviting them to hunt. Because many people don't respect those wishes it many times closes that person to allowing any hunting access and gives hunters in general a bad rap. If someone invites you to hunt with them respect their wishes and enjoy the fellowship of being with other hunters!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM

Wibowhuntr
The key to your statement is late season. If he were to ask you to come and hunt does only on opening weekend or prime time, would you do it? You might, but most are not going to give up the chance to shoot a buck during their regular season. I think GMMAT is completely in the right in this situation, his land...his rules. I just think it might be easier finding someone to follow those rules late season, doe only season, or after filling their own tag. From how I read this, he asked them to come shoot does. If they had asked him to hunt his land, I think it would be easier to tell them that they could only shoot does.

Situation one
GMMAT "can you guys come out and shoot some does for me"
Buttheads " Yeah but If I see a big buck I would probably shoot it"

More preferable situation
Buttheads " would you mind if we came hunting on your land"
GMMATT " that would be ok, but as I already have others hunting there, I would only allow the harvest of does."
Old 08-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Bartender

You said you hire teachers in another thread so you are a principle?
You should know a lot of these answers yourself then.
Would you hire or keep a teacher that does not follow the rules/guidelines?
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I go along the lines of rickjames.
If I asked someone to my property, (if I had property) with the intent to thin does they could still shoot a big buck. But it better not have too much shrinkage
If i was asked to hunt someone's land for does only, I would hope they'd give me the leeway to shoot a whopper, but I wouldn't break thier wishes if they didn't.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff - welcome to where I WAS. I have been used soooo many times that I quit trying. A few years ago I had over 2000 acres scattered across "our" area. I had more "friends" than I could ever want once word got out how good my land was. Turkey, deer. Guys took there biggest, firsts, only and then had them mounted CHEAP. They even joked about how I should get into the guiding/ taxidermy business, one stop shopping. Season goes out and I don't hear from them again. Season comes around and the phone doesn't stop ringing. Fixed that problem! Then I decided that me and a few other guys would "pool" our properties. An informal hunt club. They had duck land and turkey land that was better than mine. Guess what - they killed deer but I never saw a drop of water for duck hunting and never heard back about the turkey hunting, even after repeated calls. Not again. They will use you. There are very few people that will have any access to my props. Not again.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:16 PM

Selfish about the rules you are referring to--Nah!!! I've hunted bookoo places with rules similar, and had no thought other than to abide. These guysmight bebeing honest, but if I 'honestly' told you that if you left your wallet around that you may be a few dollars short tomorrow, would that be a good thing?

Quick Reply: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.