HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/200872-my-eyes-were-opened-am-i-selfish.html)

GMMAT 08-06-2007 12:58 PM

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Around the shop I shoot out of.....there's a guy that's a real good 3D shooter....and a hunter....and we compete all season long on the range. We were talking about things over lunch....and I was talking about having a couple of guys I know over to help thin some does. He said he'd be glad to help.

Great!!

So...I told him...."you know it's strictly does, right"? OK...he says....but if a big buck comes through Im shootin him.

My shop owner is there, too.....and agrees with this guy (I'd already invited my shop owner to hunt a couple times with me, too). I'm totally flabbergasted. Am I missing something? Neither will get an invitation, now.

I can promise you.....if you asked me to (all these guys would be doing is either WALKING to my woods....or about a 2 mi. drive) come help you....I could either decline (with no hard feelings from you).....or accept (with no hard feelings from me).

You would have thought I'd pinched their wives on the ass with the reception I got at my "rule". Is this uncommon (what I am asking of them)?

GR8atta2d 08-06-2007 01:02 PM

RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Jeff, I told you before that's gonna be a problem. At least these guys were honest (albeit they shouldn't get that invitation) It's gonna be a bigger problem when someone says I 'll abide by your rules and then puts down a buck anyway.

What you ask of them is fair and should be followed, but it will take an honest friend (that you know well)to believe it will happen.

ron3775 08-06-2007 01:02 PM

I feel your right on your decision to take back your invitation. You invited them to thin the herd by taking doe only. No where did you mention anything about taking a good buck if you see one. It ticks me off that someone would take advantage of this great offer that you are putting up. And to answer you other question,no your not being selfish.

goos_blues 08-06-2007 01:04 PM

Yeah, that would have ticked me off too. If it's your land and they can't follow the rules, than maybe they should hunt somewhere else.

Greg / MO 08-06-2007 01:06 PM

I agree with all the above comments, especially gr8's

Rick James 08-06-2007 01:07 PM

I personally wouldn't invite someone to my place and tell them that they couldn't shoot a buck that I would shoot. I wouldn't feel right about doing that. If I didn't want them to shoota buck,then I wouldn't invite them at all.

I may invite someone with the purpose of shooting does and will place them accordingly on the property, but if a "shooter" buck by my definition comes by and they have a tag for him,feel free to take a poke at him.

Again, this would only apply to my family property or another place I was paying for exclusive rights to.

Just MHO.

Talondale 08-06-2007 01:07 PM

Were they on a teamfrom the Drury videos?

Jim_IV 08-06-2007 01:08 PM

that would drive me insane. i dont think i would invite them unless they gave me some kind of promise that they wouldnt. i dont blame you for not inviting them. i dont understand why people cant be happy with something thats given to them for free. if they were putting alot of money into it i would understand.

Oneshot7 08-06-2007 01:10 PM

If they were your BEST friendsI would make an exception for the buck deal, but the others are there for does only to help you out and get them meat. Then again you cant stop anyone from shooting a buck as long as they have the tag. Its just a side effect that may happen with inviting others out to shoot does. Just be careful which stand you put them on;).

robbcayman 08-06-2007 01:11 PM

They are out of line!! You are a cool person in my book to even allow these "guys" to hunt for some does. It is a slap in the face to admit that they would take a buck even if you didn't give them permission to do so.