Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish? >

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

I agree with you...my property...I choose what you shoot...don't like it...don't come. You might (not to say you didn't) give them an explaination as to why you don't want any bucks harvested. And then state again this is for does only...NO bucks! Take it or leave it. Me...I would enjoy a hunt like that.

Reid
Old 08-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't get too worked up over it......I would simply take back the invitation. I'm sure you can find a handfull of people who would be delighted to be invited to take part in a doe hunt. How about some of your sons firends? Or perhaps another hunter from your club or proshop who hasn't put a ton of deer on the ground. It is the best practice a youth (or veteran for that matter) can get. I understand you would obviously have closer friends come hunt with you, but if they don't follow the rules, then they can't expect to get invited.

If I think back to when I was starting to bowhunt...I was dying to take a doe. When I finally had enough, I did...and I was afraid to tell the land owner because he didn't look at balance.....he simply looked at it as killing a doe is like killing three deer. Needless to say, that was the last doe I took off that land and I was forced to hunt strickly bucks. If I reverse that to the point where the land owner asked me to take a couple doe, I would have had a hay-day and gotten in some good practice. Preach to them about scent control and ethical shots and you will have a happy kid while thinning your doe herd.

Bottom line....if an adult can't follow rules, you don't want them there.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BigJ(John):

No secret I value your opinion on manymatters...as I do this one. The problem, here, is ME......you're right. But....the problem is I asked the wrong people (IMO).

Like I said....(and I've told my friends Mark and Rob)....I'd be totally happy if they took ANY DEER that tickles their fancy off the property....because they understand and respect what I'm trying to do. I also respect their judgement.

I think the lapse was in my judgement of expecting some people to respect what I'm doing......when it's not in them to do so.
I wouldn't be to hard on yourself about this,it's difficult to determine what someones response will be and sometimes (like in this case) it's a surprise. Again I thinkthey were way out of line to openly dismiss what your wishes were.

I'vebeen in a similar situation where I asked someone to hunt with methinking he was a honest and ethical hunter only to find out later (the hard way) he wasn't. Needless to say hewill never be invited to hunt with me again.

Where we differ is that I would not ask someone (anyone) to hunt with meandgive them restrictions on what they can shoot.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Mauser,
If you help her out this year with her doe issue, respect her rules and shoot only a doe, respect her property by leaving it better than you found it and be thankful and gracious with her then you may have a good chance to be invited to hunt for buck in the coming seasons.

I'd love to have the chance for a place to hunt anytime i wanted even if it's for doe only. I've been able to hunt private land but only on rare occasions. I was always very thankful and always offered up the meat from the first deer since the owner could not hunt anymore.

Would I like to one day get a big buck? Certainly, but reality for me where I am able to hunt is that a big buck is very rare. I just enjoy being out there and feeling that excitement when i see a deer, any deer

Oh and GMMAT..It's your property, your rules. If someone doesn't like the game they don't have to play. Inviting someone to have the opportunity to hunt doe is very generous.
When I hunt squirrel i don't shoot a deer just cause it walked by. The rules for that day (season) was no deer so i follow the rules. period.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff ..... I concur with the majority here ..... if they don'y like it .... they don't have to hunt there .... there is a difference between good friends and aquaintances .... I personally DO see telling an aquaintance to only shoot ___________, (fill in blank with whatever standard you want), but close friends are different, as you have already stated ....
Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Where we differ is that I would not ask someone (anyone) to hunt with meandgive them restrictions on what they can shoot.
John....As of now....me neither. Invitations will just be scarce. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't talk about it anymore, or just say you changed your mind. BTW- I prefer thinning does with a helicopter and a mounted 50 cal!
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rules are rules. What is so hard to understand. Its also called RESPECT.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Maybe the problem is in who you asked. I can't remember, but I think you said you would let a good friend shoot a buck if they saw it. Why would you invite someone who is not your good friend to come hunt on your propery, whether for does or bucks. If you want to go hunting with aquantences(sp?) go with them to a crummy piece of public land. Otherwise when you go to your spot ,(fishing or hunting) you might find them parked in your honeyhole with one of their close friends.[:@][:@]
Sorry just venting. Maybe I should start a thread about that.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Dominant Buck

No problems, guys....though it's easy to say they're being disrespectful....."I" probably learned the bigger lesson. No biggies........

Thanks for helping out.

Quick Reply: My eyes were opened.....Am I selfish?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.