Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Any hog hunters in here:I need advise >

Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Old 01-19-2002, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Best scent/ bait I have used for them is strawberry jello. Mix a 5 gallon bucket full and pour it in an area where there are plenty of leaves, they'll tear it up.

Chris
Old 01-19-2002, 09:24 PM

Default RE: Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Your setup is fine. You do not need heavier arrows. They would not increase your ke but would make range estimation more critical. Keep the setup that you got for best results.

Hogs have what is know as a "pad" on each side. It is pretty much a thick, hard, tough shield made of dense fat or something like that. The pigs use it as protection while fighting. The Pad can stop bullets and occasionally arrows. I wouldn't worry about it stopping the arrow from penetrating the vitals because such is rare.
The bigger the pig, the thicker the pad.

Pigs have an excellent scence of smell. Probably better than that of deer. Their sight is not great but is still good.

My biggest advise is to use scentproof clothing. If your totally scent free your odds of getting a pig are greatly increased.

Use the wind in your favor and hunt early and late in the day. I don't know about over there but pigs here are mainly nocturnal except on rainy days.

Hope you get a big one. Oh and baiting works very good if legal.

Nic