Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Any hog hunters in here:I need advise >

Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Old 01-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

I have the chance to hunt some wild/feral mix hogs wt. range 100-400lb. I shoot a Q2 at 68lb.28in draw,Gold Tips/Muzzy 3bl. 100gr total arrow wt 355. Guessing around 270-280fps. ? is should I give up some speed and use a heavier arrow for penitration also would like help on tactics ,thanks
Old 01-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

I also hunt hogs my bow is a older McPherson Eliminator I have it sey on 55lb draw the speed through the crono is 258
I use exactly the same arrows as you with 3 blade muzzy's.
I have had no problem downing a hog.
as to tactics well I put out corn in an area I know they are for a couple of days before I hunt then more corn on the day of the hunt I also set up my tree stand as an angry hog is no fun to deal with ( that from personal experience) I have the scare to prove it too lol
Old 01-16-2002, 10:58 PM

There hide can be somewhat tricky, almost like armor, I wouldn't suggest using a mechanical, but your set up is fine. I don't know if I would want to meet one of them face to face, I think I would rather a bear, LOL. Good luck.

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-17-2002, 03:17 AM

make sure you wash your hands with soap and water after dressing your kill. There is a disease you can get.
Old 01-17-2002, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I have never shot a hog, I have spoken with people who have, and have read quite a bit on them. I think your setup should be fine, just stay away from that front shoulder! It is like armour! Can't help much with the tactics though. Good luck on your hunt.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-17-2002, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

What has been said about the gristle that forms behind the shoulder on Mature Boars is right on. If you want good penetration, avoid hitting them there. The best shot that I've found is low in behind the gristle when the hog is quartering away. Unless you're going to have help carrying one of them big bubba's out you may want to stick to hogs under 250#. They are usually better eating too. I assume you will be ground hunting them (only way I hunt), listen to the experienced hoggers and hunt them like you'd hunt a deer. Their eyesight isn't the best, but they pick up movement fast and move the same way, usually in the opposite direction and usually into the thickest and nastiest stuff they can find. HAVE FUN!!!!

As far as your equipment, it should do just fine, except that I would recommend a heavier arrow. I shoot a longbow and prefer a heavier arrow with 2 blade fixed broadhead for the momentum, which helps to push the arrow through for optimum penetration. I would think that even at the speed you are shooting and the KE you are producing that a heavier arrow would still help with penetration.

Edited by - wahya on 01/17/2002 07:42:27
Old 01-17-2002, 07:30 AM

Killed a lot of hogs with a bow, best advice..You can't shoot a hog to low, stay away from the front shoulder,and mechanicals really piss them off.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys,I work with domesticated hogs daily,yes that shield is tough.Have access to plenty of hot!! sow urine I think I'll try it as well as the corn.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:59 PM
Typical Buck

NChunter; I've heard that hogs will come to a deer grunt tube. I've also heard that they will come in to a predator call but havn't tried either one. Boars are real territorial and they are also opportunistic feeders as well as being omnivores so you can put a bet on it that I'll be trying some calls. Can't bait them here though.

Bowhunter4life, you got lots of hog killin energy going for you. Have fun. Let us know how the the hunt goes and get some pics, lol. You are right, 150# and less is best for a good meat pig. My last one was just over 100# and was a good roasting hog.

Quick Reply: Any hog hunters in here:I need advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.