Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tell about something neat you saw? >

Tell about something neat you saw?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tell about something neat you saw?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tell about something neat you saw?

Last year I videotaped a young 6 pointer walk right under me. As soon as I stopped filming, a fawn jumped out of some brush, ran up to him and started jabbing under him trying to get some milk. The buck jumped up about 5 feet, landed and just looked at her like, "what the hell are you doing"!
It was classic.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I watched an owl attack the same duck decoy 2 times in a river.

My buddy and I watched a huge buck mule deer watch a hunter. The deer knew the hunter was there and moved around while keeping an eye on him. The hunter never knew the deer was there. Finally the hunter started walking towards the deer and the deer just went over the top of the mountain and disappeared. Later we met up with the hunter and he asked us if we saw anything and we almost died laughing!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad had a pet flying squirrel when he was a kid and has told me stories about it growing up. I've never seen one in the wild until last year when one landed on the bill of my hat while on the stand just at daybreak. It was cool yet startling all at the same time.

In Kansas I've seen several bobcats, which I never see in KY. They are always a treat.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry about the long post...I'm ready for bow season! When talking about 'neat' things I've seen, last season was probably the best..but overall it was a bust (for me).

1) I was up about 25 ft. and there were 2 squirrels about 15-20 ft. above me in a tree about 15 yds in front of me. I started a grunt sequence and they start chattering. All of a sudden, one of the squirrels starts chattering like crazy and the next thing I see issomething falling. I see it hit the ground (and at the same time I realize it was a squirrel), but it laid there about 30 sec. and climbed right back up the tree! Couldn't quit laughing the rest of the hunt...I've never seen that before.

2) With all the hype of the deer growl last year, I actually witnessed/heard one within plain sight. Honestly I had never heard of a deer growl before but have probably heard one in the past without knowing what it was. It was the best hunt I had last year (didn't harvest a deer) but had 9 different bucks within 60 yds (not good for bow). Anyways, I was watching a beautiful 9 pt. work his way back and forth...started coming towards me then stopped when a younger buck appreared. He (the 9pt. was about 50 yds out) and he turned to the other buck, hair bristled, and he started into the growl. Pretty friggin' amazing....one hunt that I'll always remember...damn near got sprayed by a skunk too when I was leaving!

3) Had a weird colored looking spike come in close to dark, chasing does like crazy. Thought he looked sick so I used a can type call to try and get him back in (planned on shooting him if he was indeed sick). A few minutes later he came right in...but about 30 yds out. Put the binos on him (it was getting dark fast) and lo and behold he was piebald! About 10 min. passed and he was right under me. I had plenty of shot ops. at him but the light wasn't great. I had partially pulled back a few times but just couldn't do it. I let him walk...don't know exacly why (I guess I do...the low light conditions and the 'specialness' of seeing him). I somewhat regret it but in the back of my I really don't...I'd like to see him a few more times.

pigiron, yes groundhogs can climb trees. A few years ago, my dad was runnin hisblack GSP and he tree'd a young groundhog. It climbed about 10' up toa fork in a small tree. I was dumbfounded b/c I never they could climb...had to take a pic.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Typical Buck

when it comes to animals I have had my share of rare moments, I worked in a breeding facility for zoo animals, so I have lots of stories there.
In the wild I have had great encounters on my trips to Costa Rica and the bests pictures taken tare are the ones with your mind.
On the last day in Corcovado Park my girlfriend had found the rum particulary sweet at the bar, later that night she needed to go to the bathroom which was located some 100 yards away from the beach.
I had to go along, she didn't want to stumble alone in dark.
She did her thing and on the way back she suddenly grabbed my arm and froze. About 10 feet away we saw the canopy of a great palmtree starting to swing back and forth, when we got closer we saw a puma standing up against the tree shaking it with it's paws. We just stood and watch as agreat iguana fell out of the tree into the mouth of the puma. The puma grabbed it, bit its neck and started chewing away. I tried to convince my girlfriend to stay put so I could get my camera but she wouldn't have it, she just jumped in my neck and I had to carry her back to the tent, where she grabbed my knife and kept watch the whole night.

F.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

On my first trip to Costa Rica I was on a hike with an american Guide in the reserve of Santa Helena in Monte Verde, we were a small group and there was this american couple who kept dragging behind, so they missed several useful tips when spotting capucin monkeys. Philip the guide told us never to point and laugh at capucins, because showing your teeth is a sign of anger. After a while we found ourselves surrounded by a group of capucin monkeys chasing some kinkajou. They got really aggitated and were making lots of noises, the american couple just looked up in amazement, started pointing and laughing, next thing you know the big alpha monkey jumps down on a lower branch, breaks off a good chunck of bromelia and throws it at them, which makes the couple laugh even more.
This makes the monkey even angrier and he just breaks off a branch the size of my leg and chuncks it at the couple, resulting in a bloody nose and a big bump on the husband's head.
This all happened in a matter of seconds, before the guide could do or say anything to the couple..... they kept close to the guide and were quiet the rest of the trip.

If some of you went to my flickr account, there are some pics of Costa Rica as well.

F.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

pigiron, yes groundhogs can climb trees. A few years ago, my dad was runnin hisblack GSP and he tree'd a young groundhog. It climbed about 10' up toa fork in a small tree. I was dumbfounded b/c I never they could climb...had to take a pic.

Shucks,I thought I was having a National Geographic moment.

I'd a never thunk it......he looked so out of place.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well this doesn't involve critters but still pretty cool.

One year I was in stand and witnessed something awesome. It was a warm humid morning with overcast skies and no wind. After 2 hours on stand I started hearing what I thought were raindrops hitting the forest floor. Upon more careful inspection the droplets weren't falling from the sky but rather the trees. This puzzled me because it wasn't raining the previous 2 hours so where could this moisture be coming from?

Upon even more careful observation, I realized that there was so much moisture in the air that droplets were transfering from the air onto branches and droplets were accumulating til they were falling off the branches. It was sooo cool because you could watch as droplets clung onto the underside of branches andget bigger and bigger right before your very eyes then fall to the forest floor. It was as if the forest was singing to me. Unforgettable.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pigiron

ORIGINAL: GSPsnFORDs

Shucks,I thought I was having a National Geographic moment.

I'd a never thunk it......he looked so out of place.
Yea i dont want to take away from your story either, but i got some cool ones i guess. The groundhogs in my area climb trees all the time if you cut them off from thier holes, or if you hunt with a dog. I love it when they hustle up the tree like a khawala (sp?), makes them a whole lot easier to shoot. Other stories, ive seen deer fight, squirells fight, turkeys fight. Ive had peackocks come in to my turkey calling. This morning i had a flying squirrell almost take my head off. Ive been stalked by yotes, i seen yotes chase deer. If i think of any more ill be back!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bobcat with several kittens that apparently had a home near where I was sitting for an all day sit. Saw them come out and play several times that day. The kittens were already the size of normal house cats.....

Quick Reply: Tell about something neat you saw?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.