Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Angled arrows

Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Angled arrows

So i was reading this post that a guy shot a foam target and there was a great group going on and the arrows were in at different angels? i get that all the time i diddnt really see any spacific suggestions on how to fix this problem, is there anyone that can tell me and also is that why my groups get a little funny the further i go back??
Ryan
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Angled arrows

I had the same problem last year. I even posted on it. I followed all the sugestions that people gave me. First I made sure my bow was in tune. The second thing I looked at was my grip. I tend to torgue the bow a little and sure enough that was the problem. I also added a drop away rest and I haven't had the problem since.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

go to the post headed "Think I'm ready" by flstnhdorPM some of the experienced guys , they're always willing to help ... try cougars09
Old 07-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some targets will fool you and make you think the arrow is going in at an akward angle, when in reality the layers or inners of the target are putting more pressure on one side of the arrow and causing it to penetrate right/left/up/down.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: psebwhntr16

Some targets will fool you and make you think the arrow is going in at an akward angle, when in reality the layers or inners of the target are putting more pressure on one side of the arrow and causing it to penetrate right/left/up/down.
I agree, this is the reason I like paper tuning.Also, how far are you shooting and how tight are the groups? My dad was having a problem like this and it was his arrow spine. I swaped his arrowns and it fixed the problem. He was shooting a 2 inch group at 20 and all of his arrows went in at different angles. Also make sure, if your shooting carbon arrows, that there are no splits in the arrow. I have one that has a split next to the knock and it shoots wierd, it stays in the group but has a crazy angle. Wish I was more help but there is so many things it could be.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you guys mean when you say make sure your bow is in "tune"??? i have no clue how to do that or where to start to "tune" my bow, and i can put everything in a chew can Gaurenteed from 20, and most the time tighter than that, but as soon as i step back to like 40, im lucky to get a pie plate.
Ryan
Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 PM

ORIGINAL: my7pointmonster

What do you guys mean when you say make sure your bow is in "tune"??? i have no clue how to do that or where to start to "tune" my bow, and i can put everything in a chew can Gaurenteed from 20, and most the time tighter than that, but as soon as i step back to like 40, im lucky to get a pie plate.
Ryan
Every arrow comes out of the bow the same way with the exception of jerking, pulling, torquing, exc. Different people have different methods of achieving this. Som like to paper tune and others like to group tune. Small problems are magnified at longer yardages, so this may be the reason your on at 20 and off at 40. How are you at 25, 30, 35. DO your groups cosistantly get worse? Shooting through paper will help you identify quickly if you have a problem or not. Maybe you should hang out at the local shop a little and see if they have any insight. Hope I helped a little, good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Ryan, I usually shoot at different places on the target and the angles are not that bad as the second picture shows. But after reading some of the replys to my thread (if it was mine you were looking at) and going out to shoot again I think I do torque the bow with my grip as Copper31 suggested he was doing. After making a consious effort to not grip too tight the angles are all pretty much the same now. I think it was a combination of my grip and the target as some have suggested.