Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 angled peep problem >

angled peep problem

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

angled peep problem

Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 AM

Default angled peep problem

I just had one of the new G5 angled peeps tied in this past weekend. I really like the peep but I have a slight problem keeping it rotated correctly. I have a string loop and shoot with a caliper release. My problem is that the peep does not want to line up parallel with my eye when at full draw. I can get it in the right place if I twist the peep to the left a little before drawing, but this is a problem waiting to happen. I’ve tried rotating the string loop a little, but it won’t stay in place either. I don’t have a press so I can’t take it out and move it myself. Is there anything I can do other than taking it back to the shop and having them retie it? Thanks for any help you can give!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 AM

Default RE: angled peep problem

when you offset your loopa little, stick some needle nose pliers in there and open up about as hard as you can. that will seat the loop and keep it in place
Old 05-31-2006, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Retying a peep or loop isn't necessarily going to cure your problem. It depends on the quality of your strings. Gibblet didn't say it, but you might try a set of his strings. I just got a set a couple weeks ago and get no peep rotation whatsoever. That being said, I've used some of the best aftermarket strings money can buy and his compare very favorably at roughly half the cost. In fact the cost is about the same as the generic, el cheapo's hanging in most shops.

He is correct about using needle nose pliers to tighten the loop. One thing I've tried also is putting string way on the serving prior to installing a loop. You would think this would let it slip around due to the lubrication, but it actually lets the loop tighten into the serving better because of the decrease in friction. At least that's what I've found.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Getting some quality strings is the first step in shooting a peep without an aligner. Most factory strings will make you insane trying to keep your peep aligned. Just by the time you get it perfect, the darn thing rotates a few degrees this way or that.

Additionally a bow press is really what is needed to get them perfect. You will find that twisting 1/2 of a turn in or out can correct some funky peep alignment problems.

Another issue can be if you don't have a lot of twists in your string. I find that a string with more twists is much more stable than one that has only a few twists in it.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Try rotating a couple strand's of your string from one side to the other if you rotate 2 strand's from one side you have to take 2 from the other side as well switch the strand's in the direction you want your peep to rotate.

nubo