Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anatomy of a deer >

Anatomy of a deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anatomy of a deer

Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Anatomy of a deer

With the deer season rapidly approaching,I thought showing the anatomy of a deer would be in order.

I love this target and would love to see them in every pro shop in the U.S.,of course that isn't going to happen so here you go.

Note how it shows the arrow path for you.Also notice how a center 10 is a perfect shot for a double lung.

http://www.rinehart3-d.com/products/#c1

Old 07-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Anatomy of a deer

tfox, hows that work??? i been doing some 3D shooting and i havent had an arrow pop out the other side yet. will it stop my arrows but still allow it to poke through but not pass through??

what do they go for?? that looks REALLY nice. id love to have one. angles? no problem...you learn what your going to hit at different angles...treestands etc etc...just a nice target to have around...be really neat if the internals were 3D and correctly placed and you could see them all...but thats about as close as you can get...

knowing rineharts though, its most likely steep in price...mckenzie makes one as well...dont know if its that nice though
Old 07-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

This target is more for educational purposes,not really for shooting.

It has a tube through the vitals that you can slide an arrow through to see how it will travel through the vitals in a real life situation.

The 3 it shows are all it offers I believe.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmmm..... looks dang cool but i remember seeing one somewhere that could actually shoot without any problems.
Cool target though!!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

You also see why that slightly forward shot in the "Pocket" drops deer so fast.......think back to the many DVD's you have seen. (The latest Truth 4 Bowhunting and Will Primos' very firstkill on the videois a prime example)
All the major high pressure blood vessels to the head lie in that area and if you take them out it's blood pressure GONE to the brain and nighty night.
It's generally a slight "miss" from the point of aim that gives you the biggest margin of error but if you drift that way by accident you'll be climbing down 10 seconds after you shot. LOL
Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 PM

Matt, are you talking about the shot that's in front of the shoulder, almost at the base of the neck? To the front of the heart?

If you're talking where I think you're talking, that would be the aorta, correct? Am I also correct in saying it's the largest vein (or is that one an artery?) in the body? I know they're gonna bleed out AWEFULLY fast if you sever that one....
Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mobo,
You are talking in front of the front leg and yes it can have the same effect as you can take out the same blood vessels (Aorta which is the main artery and I guess what is commonly called the juglar vein that is returning the blood back to the heart....the aorta is the one under lots of pressure as are all arteries)
The shot I'm talking about is that straight broadside shot that gets into that area just anterior of the heart (where you see the 3 blood vessels coming off like a fork) Many guys think incorrectly that the leg bone sits in this spot because it is centerline to slightly forward of centerline of the foreleg but its an open triangle to the quickest kill shot you'll see.

I don't advocate aiming there because it doesn't give you quite as much margin for error forward but like I said, if your POI drifts that direction and you hit that spot I don't think it's physically possible for that animal to get out of sight and the ones I've seen don't stop and lay down they go from sprint to crash in an instant. [:-]
On a broadside where you point of aim is straight up the crease of the back leg I would rather hit a few inches forward than a few inches back.
I think too many guys come up that crease and move their aim back slightly and bring the liver and guts into play too much........where in actuality you might be better served coming up the crease and favoring the centerline of the foreleg a touch more.

As you can clearly see by the 3D model if you stay just back of the crease on a broadside deer and keep your shot low you will be behind the heart entirely and flirting with the bottom of the lung lobes. These shots look awesome and your first instinct is "Heart Shot!" but it's not the same thing and you can see how much closer the guts are to the crease than the good stuff forward of it.

Me........I bring that pin justup from the "elbow joint" in the centerline of that foreleg into what is basically a heart hold. I don't like to come back off that crease at all.