Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Optics
 Angled or straight? >

Angled or straight?

Community
Optics Quality optics are a must-have for any serious hunter. Discuss them here.

Angled or straight?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Spike

Default Angled or straight?

Those of you who use spotting scopes...do you prefer a straight eyepiece or angled? Why?

I'm looking at the Swaro HD series.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Angled or straight?

Straight for the bench. Angled for the field. Tom.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I have grown accustom to the angled head, though it did take awhile from veiwing a straight eye piece for years. They just seem more verstile IMHO,but are at times harder to acquire targets. With the angled eye piece you can turn it to the left,right, up and down to suit your needs.

I have a pair of Swarovski ATS-80 HD's and love them
Old 06-23-2008, 09:58 AM

Hazmat,
I was able to find an angledNikon ED 82mm for just under $800. For that price it came with an EP making the package about $600 cheaper than what I may have paid in a store. For such a stellar deal on an amazing scopeI just couldn't say no but having now used the scope for both scouting and hunting I can say I wish I had the straight scope instead. The angled is indeed easier to use when you're just standing and glassing a hillside or something. However, out here in the West there are lots of steep hills to look down while hunting. Just try to imagine how much higher you'd have to prop yourself up to look through the EP while looking down at a steep angle. Your outline is conspicuous enough to a deer, you don't want your equipment adding to that. My vote: straight. Best luck with your search and God bless.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

one thing to consider is if you're sitting down in the field and using an angled.....that'll have to be that much lower and with grasses etc...that can be a problem.....

also with straight you're essentially looking at and through at the same angle....towards the game, not the ground....

though angled you could use a shorter tripod and stand straight up and look down, whereas you may have to hunch over if your tripod doesn't goto eye level.

Also out of the truck, window mount, not sure an angled would work well for that.

I dont have a swaro, but mines straight, so I think i'd get a straight. But hey get one if you don't like it, i'll take it off your hands.....then just get the other model.....I'll even toss in $100.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 AM

I much prefer the straight eye piece because you can align the scope faster on target. The straight eyepiece magnifies the focal point of your vision where the angled eyepiece is like looking through a tunnel trying to find your target.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Straight , it makes it a lot easier to line up a target. Angled for the bench
Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Straight .... for all the reasons mentioned above. For me straight is just a more "natural" feel. Ask the retailer to let you try both out. I think is a short test right there at the store you'd get a good feel for what works best for you.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer straight over angle for bench and spotting fields...