Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, age affects the information.
51.40%
No, age does not come into play.
48.60%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Just Curious

Old 07-12-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Just Curious

When reading posts here on HNI, how much attention do you pay to the user's age? Does their age determine how much of a grain of salt you take with the information they provide?

My reason for asking is because I've recently noticed that a person's age (being young) has been brought up several times. Being as I am young myself, and know of quite a few younger members who frequently post useful information, I'm wondering if the information they're providing is being taken for granted because of their age.

I'd rather not start any arguments if its possible, but this is merely for informational purposes.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just Curious

I usually have no clue to their age unless there is a picture posted along with it.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

When reading posts here on HNI, how much attention do you pay to the user's age? Does their age determine how much of a grain of salt you take with the information they provide?

My reason for asking is because I've recently noticed that a person's age (being young) has been brought up several times. Being as I am young myself, and know of quite a few younger members who frequently post useful information, I'm wondering if the information they're providing is being taken for granted because of their age.

I'd rather not start any arguments if its possible, but this is merely for informational purposes.
I agree with this completely. Dan, you post ALOT of useful information! I think age is held against people too. These recent rant threads about kids has made me realize it. When I read a post I don't sit here and think, well Dan made that post, he's young, he must be wrong! I think everyone should be viewed as just fellow hunters.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Host of Hosts

Hey Dan you taught us all how to properly apply camo face paint. Age isn't an issue. It's about content.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I don't consider age at all. I consider the quality of the information. You can learn something from everyone.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

wisdom is not acquired by age but by knowledge

[/align]
Old 07-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Age absolutely affects how I view a persons shared information........I mean seriously, I have seen kids as young as 11yrs old on here recently and if you ignore age as a determining factor on the quality of information you're quite likely doing yourself a disservice.

You have to ask yourself how much real life experience can this 13yr old kid have?........how much could he or she have come to these conclusions on their own?
I have heard the term used by an ol' timer forum guy I respect of "INFO SQUIRREL". That's what a lot of these younger guys are, they read the forums, and magazines and catalogs squirrel it away, and then turn around andpass this newlyaquired nut of knowledge of as fact and life experience.

You have to be realistic here, not saying that some of these hunters aren't great people, I'm sure they are and its great to see our sport in their future hands because they show passion.....but theFIRST thing I find myself doing when I read an informational post is trying to determine the posters age and then real life experience.

And of course there is a little bit of a sliding scale here for the teenage types like Dan who have been around a bit and have had some success on his own and through his own free thought.
There is also the newcomer who isn't necessarily a kid who shares the same boat.....these can be the tough ones to identify and weed out the useful information because many times they speak with a little more authority and can articulate it better generally.

Age, experience, reputation. You need to determine all 3 or you could set yourself back by blindly accepting that these things don't matter. IMO they do.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

not at all amn i am young to and i learn as much about hunting and fishing as i can from everywhere, if i have seen it proven though. also btw dan did you ever get those talons
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

not at all amn i am young to and i learn as much about hunting and fishing as i can from everywhere, if i have seen it proven though. also btw dan did you ever get those talons
Negative on that one, buddy.

Never recieved them.

What about those wraps, did you get those?
Old 07-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Age does not bother me as much as too much face paint[:-]

Quick Reply: Just Curious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.