Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, age affects the information.
51.40%
No, age does not come into play.
48.60%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Just Curious

Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just Curious

When reading posts here on HNI, how much attention do you pay to the user's age? Does their age determine how much of a grain of salt you take with the information they provide?

My reason for asking is because I've recently noticed that a person's age (being young) has been brought up several times. Being as I am young myself, and know of quite a few younger members who frequently post useful information, I'm wondering if the information they're providing is being taken for granted because of their age.

I'd rather not start any arguments if its possible, but this is merely for informational purposes.
Like you Wash, and Coug, i too am a "teenager". I know there are (quite) a few younger posters on this site, and many do provide valuable information (i.e. Washington Hunter and Cougars09).

however i will agree with Matt/PA...

Age, experience, reputation. You need to determine all 3 or you could set yourself back by blindly accepting that these things don't matter. IMO they do.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea i got the wraps but the talons should have been there by now i snet the aftershocks out after yours by a few days and he has already gotten them????
I do thank ou for the wraps they work good for king mackeral[8D].
Leeme know when you get em Dan.
Brent
Old 07-12-2007, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

Yea i got the wraps but the talons should have been there by now i snet the aftershocks out after yours by a few days and he has already gotten them????
I do thank ou for the wraps they work good for king mackeral[8D].
Leeme know when you get em Dan.
Brent
Glad to hear you got 'em.

I'll let you know.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Often times the age of someone shows through in thier posts and you understand why they said what they did. Good info is good info regardless of the source, but I will admit if a person is young, they are going to have to 'prove' to me they know what they are talking about, some do, some don't. People, whether kids or just newcomers who spout off like old time authorities are quite comical.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

As long as the information thats being posted makes sense , it shouldn't matter what age heor she may be.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Not in all cases as everyone has something to learn from each other, but a lot of my info comes from some aged folks. They have learned a lot along the way and I believe in listening to them..
Old 07-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dan,

Being somewhat young myself, i understand what you are saying. Its a probelm young hunters face in places like this and overall. I wouldn't let it bother you though, you've accomplished alot more than most people with decades of experience. One thing you can do to make sure people here take you seriously is keep downing deer year after year and keep coming with the good info. Even though i am somewhat of a lurker here i am have no shame in admitting i have learned alot from your posts.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

im probably around the same age as you..20 or so. i been around here since i could pee straight. when judging weather or not to take someones advice or info with a grain of salt or not i look at alot of things. mostly i only trust select people that i know know their stuff and wouldnt steer me in the wrong direction. i dont pick by age. i dont care if your 14 or 98...if you know your stuff, you know your stuff. id take advice from a 14 year old pro over a 50yo guy that doesnt know a fletching from a peep sight...

alot of guys will discriminate by age...i see that go on...but i hate to say it...alot of times its kinda called for...i just wouldnt come out and tell the kid to quit talkin cause hes 14. i have no problem with young hunters posting. i encourage it. without kids in the outdoors i might not have a job. who will goto the national park i hope to be an LE Ranger in if kids arent in the outdoors?? i have no problem with the younguns here...they are gladly welcome....but when they are telling me that they get 320fps from a 25" 40lb draw and robinhoods arrows all the time at 50yds...well..you know....lol
Old 07-12-2007, 08:04 PM

It's like my dad always said, "Learn from all that you can from a teenager, while they still know everything."

There's a lot of truth to that! Personally, the older I get, the more I realize I DON'T know. True knowledge comes from being humble enough to admit it.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think age should bean issue, but it's got to work both ways. I mean, a youngster may post something that they feel is the absolute truth, but others know it to just not be the case. That youngster has to have the wisdom to be able to stand corrected, and the elders that do the correcting should try to do it in a tasteful and appropriate way, so as not to make the youngster feel demoralized or embarrassed. Just my $.02.00.

Quick Reply: Just Curious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.