Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Morning or night?? >

Morning or night??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Morning or night??

Old 07-08-2007, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Morning or night??

Ok i have this stand that is in a dry creek bed that connects to the river about 50 yards from my stand. The creekbed is about 20 yards wide then opens up to swanp and tall grass with trees and willows. The swamp and creek bed is about 4 acres but it is surrounded on all sideds by 200 acres of corn. There is always lots of rubs\scrapes and i always get lost of buck pics.Does this sound better for morn or night hunting??
Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Default RE: Morning or night??

I would hunt it every chance I had. Do you have a date/time stamp on the buck pics?
Old 07-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get there without being seen or detected in the afternoon, it would definately work for an evening stand. Maybe take a canoe or small boat on the river and get as close to your stand as possible with it. Just don't let the wind take your scent into the swamp.

You could probably do the same thing in the morning and hunt it then too. But I would get there plenty before first light being that close to the fields and the bedding area.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

ya i have the time on the pics, last year i got 128 in one night when i put my cam over a gathering scrape and licking branchin aug. i think i had 5 diff.bucks hit the scrape betwen just after dark and 30 min after sun rise. The largest being a 125 inch 8. I have my cam down there now so ill keep you posted.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

That sounds like a great "hotspot". Just make sure the wind keeps your scent outta the bottom and i would hang a couple stands so that you always have a backup.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

I would have to know more about the lay of the land.How would you access this spot without alerting the deer.bedding and feeding area in relation to each other.You say you got 128 pics,where they all at night if so you may need to set up some where s else to catch them on the move during shooting hours.IT does sound like you have a pretty sweet spot,just that i don't really have enough info to give you sound advice, but you'll work it out.Good LUck!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I would try both! If the deer are bedding in the corn, you could catch them coming or going. I would definitely hunt evenings in mid to late october when scraping starts getting hot. In fact, make a mock scrape with licking branch with good stand setup and you will be in business.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Well mabey this will help everybody out, heres a areal photo of the area. Green dot is the stand. Blue arrow is the wind in which i will hunt it. Red line is a farm road that i could uses as an entry route, Yellow box is the area where the deer most frequently spen the day which is all corn except several small swampy holes. The other possible entry route is using the river and my flatbottom boat to sneek in. Thought this might help.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Spike

well id say it looks to be a nice morning spot myself.