Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Morning or night?

Old 06-22-2003, 11:29 AM

Default Morning or night?

From experience only, at which hours of the hunting day have you seen the most deer movement? I know it' s an original question but answer it anyway. Thanks.
Mike,-
Old 06-22-2003, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Morning or night?

From my experience I have seen more movement in the mornings, but I also see a lot in the evenings too. Last year due to my work schedule, there were some days I was not able to make it in the woods until around 9 or 10 am. I was pleasantly suprised at the amount and quality of deer I saw during the middle of the day when everyone else was leaving!
Old 06-22-2003, 02:32 PM

I usually don' t get out in the morning, but when I do, I see more deer at a time than I do in the evening. And I would probably rather shoot one In the morning because You have more time to track and dress your deer. A downed deer in the woods over night has a high risk of eather getting eaten by a predator or getting spoiled meat.[X(]

Old 06-22-2003, 03:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Evening, only because that is the preferred time of day for me to sit in a stand. Two hours in the morning and 3 1/2 in the evening is about all my old bones can stand.
Old 06-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

depends on what stand im hunting in but if i had to choose one it would be evening.
Old 06-22-2003, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on the time of year and location I am hunting. I usually hunt more evening than morning in bow and ML season. It seems to be good for movement and works out better with work, etc. However later in the year I hunt all day and during the late prerut & rut 10-3 is the best time for me...of course I hunt close to the bucks bedrooms at this time of year. Post rut either early or later in the day are about equal, the midday sightings drop off considerably, so I usually hunt the peak times. If your hunting transition areas between bed and food, either should be productive, as long as you can get in position in the am without spooking the game. If you hunt food sources than the evening is usually the perferred time, as the deer will be in the field already, making approach difficult...as such many choose to not chance it and get in before the deer do. I think the mornings as a rule are cooler and this should equate to more movement, but it really depends on the set up to which time will be best.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:25 PM

I hunt mostly mornings. At my age, my eyes do not pick out the deer well enough to give me the confidence to shoot. Also, in our area I notice the most harvesting is done in the mornings. I will set in some of my stands in the evening on occation to check movement, which I find is very near total dark, and at that time I can' t even see them in my scope. I envy you fellows that can see in low light conditions.
Russ
Old 06-22-2003, 09:09 PM

I usually see more deer movement the last hour before dark.

Old 06-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Morning,I' ve gotten most of my deer in the morning.I think it' s easier for most people to get to there stand in the evening,which is why thats when they most like to hunt.Walking to a stand in the dark isn' t for some people.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt, in the morning. Between 7-9 seems to be the " Magic Hours" .

Quick Reply: Morning or night?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.