Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bad Morning/GOOD NIGHT!!! >

Bad Morning/GOOD NIGHT!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad Morning/GOOD NIGHT!!!

Old 10-05-2003, 09:26 PM
CJW

Default Bad Morning/GOOD NIGHT!!!

Well, this morning I was sitting behind a haybale waiting for a doe to emerge from the woods to feed, when I heard something small walking in the corn field not 3 feet away. Hoping it was just a coon I turned and saw, what else but a SKUNK. Ran around the other side of the haybale and he came out right where I was sitting. Put the 10 yard pin on him and let fly. He did manage to make a nice spray of his perfume before he died and got my backpack and everything in it.

At about five this afternoon I went out and hoped I would at least see something. At about 7 oclock when I was walking out past the corn field I heard a deer running through the corn at full tilt. It came out about 10 yds. away and ran with its rearend to me for about another 10 and I grunted to stop it, and possibly turn it around. It turned broadside at 20 yds. and I let fly. Knowing I hit it, I marked where it was standing and where it went into the woods. I called my mom to bring the truck and we tracked it for only 30-40 yds. where it lay dead. When I put the flashlight on its head, I saw it was a button buck.

This was my first season hunting and my first deer, but I still felt kinda bad that it was a button buck.

Anyways, I felt better that it only went 40 yds. and the arrow was a complete passthrough. And the meat we do get will be good eating.

CJW

Old 10-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bad Morning/GOOD NIGHT!!!

Congradulations!!! The First Deer always feels good, and hey, you can call it a Buck!!! CONGRATS again!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on the deer
Old 10-06-2003, 05:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on your first, do not worry about it being a button, that will happen on occasion, heck I shot a dink 4 point that due to branches I thought was a doe a few years ago, it was buck or doe and I needed meat for the freezer. I will admit though that he would have walked if I had known he was a little 4 point.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Spike

Been there...done that. I feel that any deer taken with a bow is a trophy. It' s meat in the freezer. Congrats
Old 10-06-2003, 06:12 AM

Not to get confrontational here...but why kill the skunk? Did you use it' s meat? Maybe in your state or province, they' re considered varmint/nuisances and can be killed...I don' t know. I just think if somebody kills an animal....it should be used as dinner, that' s all.

Btw, congrats on you deer.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don' t worry about the buttons, congrats on your first deer. It happens to us all at one time or another. Sometimes it just happens so fast that you can' t tell.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your deer! I' m sure it' ll be the first of many!![8D]
Old 10-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your first bow kill. Some times those buttons are hard to see in the heat of the moment.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the first deer, to bad on the skunk

Quick Reply: Bad Morning/GOOD NIGHT!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.