Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 lineman style boots >

lineman style boots

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lineman style boots

Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default lineman style boots

Not sure if the title is correct. But does anybody, or has anybody used the boots tat you have a spike strapped around your foot. Where you just use your harness and shimmy up the tree?
I was thinking about getting 1 pair...last year I had fawns under my treestand licking and smelling my foot pegs.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: lineman style boots

They are not boots, they are gafts which strap on to which ever boots you are wearing. (unless there is another (new) product out)....and no offense to anyone who likes them, I wouldn't recommend them. I work for a utility co. (phone) and climb poles for a living and it's not for everyone. You have to climb properly. The other thing is, it's tough on the feet and legs when standing on them for long periods, the feet go numb ect depending on the boots. Now I realize you'll rest in the sling etc...

Also, if you use the same tree often, it will damage the trees significantly.

I'd recommend carrying in a small spray bottle of Scent Killer for your pegs as well as your boots etc when climbing in. I've never had an issue with deer scenting my climbing sticks etc....

If you do decide to try the gafts (spikes), remember keep your knees and but away from the tree when climbing. The downward/in angle must be maintained so they don't kick out.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM

I have heard they are not very safe, especially for trees which have bark where as utility poles don't. You would be better off with a decent climber instead.

Paul
Old 07-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pole climbing looks easy... so does riding a bull. If your not trained for pole climbing, you can end up like a bull rider, "crippled".
Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Pole climbing looks easy... so does riding a bull. If your not trained for pole climbing, you can end up like a bull rider, "crippled".
I'll second that. My dad works for PP&L (elecrtic company) and has a pair of these. I strapped them on one time and had a heck of a time getting 10 feet off the ground. I can't imagine doing it to go hunting. I agree with either spraying the steps of getting a climber.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't think they would be the best option. But I just thought I would make sure here. When I asked my dad about them, he told me to ask a guy that works at our utilities company that hunts with us about, "burning a pole"
'
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is a very good possibility that you had something tasty on your boots that the deer wanted. If the smell was offensive, they would have been long gone, not licking the steps. The pegs I would think would get very uncomfortable for any length of time, not to mention the workout getting up the tree and the noise and bark falling and everything.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use mine for hanging stands, andit's awesome - no fear or uneasiness at any time.

BUT - you've GOT to know what you're buying. And good ones are expensive.

I have a full set of Buckingham gear - tree spikes, belt, leather climbing strap.

I actually have a 5-point industrial climbing harness with elastic fall restraint that I use instead of the basic leather belt.

If you do buy a pair, pay close attention to the length of the spike. You use different spikes for climbing poles vs. climbing trees. You'll need the specialized, longer spikes to bite through the bark and into the meat of the tree. See the references above.

As for climbing into a stand, I would NOT recommend. In order to get the climbingstrap "over" the stand, once you get up there, you have to disengage the climbing strap and climb into the stand with no fall restraint (unless you can buckle yourself to another contact point). That's extremely dangerous. You should keep a safe contact point at all times when using climbing gear. You'll need good rope too, which isn't cheap either.

Instead of just using a plain-jane belt. I like these harnesses much better. I got one on ebay with (an elastic fall restraint) pretty cheap.

Fooling around with treestands is dangerous business, and you don't get any mulligans.