Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do? >

What would you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you do?

At the end of day, Family comes first so I say take it.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Maybe you've already already considered it, but I personally would be more concerned with the fact that I am responsible for my family on a higher level:
Sat phone, GPS, first aid kit, survival gear, backing up your hunt plan with someone on the outside, and any other scenario you could possibly imagine should be considered and planned for. Play out any and all "Bad things" that could happen out there and how will you deal with them.

A gun is probably somewhere in the mid to lower area on my priority list but no doubt it would be in there somewhere. I have a carry permit and it is an option for me........make sure carrying is legal where you are and while doing what you are doing. Some states have laws against carrying guns while bowhunting.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and "uneventful" trip but don't overlook the other things that will help ensure that it stays that way.
This guy said it VERY well IMO. However, I'd put a piece on the "higher" end of my priorities and I'd be carryin for sure. Like others have said, if not for the idiots...for the critters out there.

Another guy said it well too...a few lines on paper won't keep me from protectin my family.

But like Matt/PA said...haveEXTRA batteries/matches/etc on the essentials.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll agree with most everyone on here who posted before myself.

A man's job is first to protect his family.. I would bring another weapon if I felt that I should have one.. ABSOLUTELY!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

It never dawned on me to carry for the fear of running into some bad guys. Maybe some wild animals but not people. I guess my head was in the sand a little.

Now that you posted the question, and made me think of some possibilities, then i'd carry for sure.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:22 PM

I'd rather be tried by TWELVE than carried by SIX and that applies to my family as well.

I'm carying!!!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 08:16 AM

I've spent a lot of time in the wilderness in the lower-48-statesin my 50-odd years, including 10 of those years in Colorado. And I believe we should have the right to carry and the right to protect ourselves and our families. That being said:

In all of my wilderness trips, I have never ever come close to needinga firearm for personal protection - either against animals or againsthumans.Consequently, I would question whether there really is a need to carry a gun for protection on a wilderness trip in the lower-48-states.

Also, IMHO, it is irresponsible tointentionally take my family into an area where a gun may be needed to protect them.Besides, how could avacation destination be much of a vacationif there is even a remote chanceI would have to shoot my way out?

I can certainly see some exceptions likeAlaska grizzly country, but it's in the city where I wouldfeel the need to pack heat for personal protection, not in the wilderness. The crack-heads and muggers are prowling the backalleys, not humping 60lbs of gear 5 miles to breath the fresh air and absorb the solitude. Also, there are probably better ways than a handgun to protect oneself in grizzly country, too.

But like I said at the top, I believe a person should be able to carry if a person feels the need to.

Just my personal opinion.

--twofer
Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know if it has been said.

But can you get around the law by keeping the ammo separate from the gun? The warden might be more likely to cut you slack in that instance, I don't know.

I like carrying my Buckmark 22 when out in the field/woods (mostly just for fun). But in my state all you can carry is a 22 with ratshot while bowhunting. I guess there are morons who would try to shoot a deer with a 22 pistol.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

If I actually thought I had to worry about some freeks, meth heads, or other creeps while out hunting I wouldn't go. I cherish my hunting rights and wouldn't riskthem just to carry a handgun.

As for bears and other animals, I would rather have a can of bear spray on me than a handgun.
Dan, just curious, you ever use bear spray on a bear ...if so how did it work?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I always carry my Taurus .44 mag rev. with me when bow hunting or even taking a walk in our woods. Never know when you might run into a pissed off bear or some tree huggin hippie tresspassers (or one of them hunting net theives)jk about the hunting net theives,Im sure none ofus here are theives.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 AM

i always carry one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.