Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What would you do? >

What would you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What would you do?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

Default What would you do?

Say you are going on a 15 day Archery Wilderness Bowhunt with only your wife, 14 year old son, and yourself in the mountains and will be backpacking 6-10 miles back in. Would you pack a handgun on either or both of the adults or go without the handguns and risk running into some freaks, meth heads, or other creeps that may be armed with firearms. What if the law states that you can't carry a gun while bowhunting? Do you carry it anyway? I have been in this situation and carried anyway. I feel that it is my right to protect my family and it is a choice if caught I will deal with. I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Let me know your views.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What would you do?

My first reaction was to say bring plenty of birth control, but then I saw your son was coming along. I would pack heat. Less to deal with freaks but more for the creatures.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM

I normally have a .44 mag somewhere on my person while hunting.

Washington State says no firearms allowed during archery season.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the situation you describe I am carrying a firearm. I am also carrying extra ammo for it . When hunting I would keep it in my pack and not on my person. When not hunting, the situation would dictate where it was.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry one cause of bears and cougars here but its legal.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you've already already considered it, but I personally would be more concerned with the fact that I am responsible for my family on a higher level:
Sat phone, GPS, first aid kit, survival gear, backing up your hunt plan with someone on the outside, and any other scenario you could possibly imagine should be considered and planned for. Play out any and all "Bad things" that could happen out there and how will you deal with them.

A gun is probably somewhere in the mid to lower area on my priority list but no doubt it would be in there somewhere. I have a carry permit and it is an option for me........make sure carrying is legal where you are and while doing what you are doing. Some states have laws against carrying guns while bowhunting.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful and "uneventful" trip but don't overlook the other things that will help ensure that it stays that way.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:37 PM

I'm packin'

Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Don:

Here's a good scenario of you and I seeing eye to eye.

I will NOT let a few lines on a sheet of paper stand between me protectingmy family (or not protecting them...at any cost and by WHATEVER means I deem appropriate). I'll tellanyone, right now....

I'd be packin.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seriously would have some protection - drugs are becoming very prevalent nowdays and wilderness areas are some prime locations to find some unfriendly peeps/ not to mention the critters and Matt had some great suggestions as well
Old 06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd pack and do the things Matt suggested too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.