Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WIND?

Old 05-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default WIND?

Have you ever used the wind to your advantage when hunting mature deer..... ie do u set up downwind of a food source in a spot where the wind swirls togeather. AND how do u find out where the 2 winds meet and swirl togeather. Do you use thermals to your advatage? NO DUMB POSTS- i already posted this in the deerhunting section and got no help...[&:]
Old 05-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WIND?

ORIGINAL: BigBuck28

Have you ever used the wind to your advantage when hunting mature deer..... ie do u set up downwind of a food source in a spot where the wind swirls togeather. AND how do u find out where the 2 winds meet and swirl togeather. Do you use thermals to your advatage? NO DUMB POSTS- i already posted this in the deerhunting section and got no help...[&:]

That pretty much leaves out what I had to say.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Chris.....

Your ARE one of a kind.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

"The answer my friend is blowing in the wind."

Bob Dylan
Old 05-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

im not sure u guys are understanding my question.. i know duhhh dont set up with the wind blowing into the field were the deer will be. Im trying to figure out if ther is any tips or tricks to help me locate a CERTAIN spot where a buck might come scnet check the field. Or with thermals that rise to a certain spot on the ridge like a bench so that the buckscan catch a smell of them during the rut to see if he has to bother to go to the field to check for does..... im trying to rethink how i hunt bc i have a lot of big deer in the area but cant connect. im tryin to narrow down stand locations to a few really goods ones[:@]
Old 05-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigBuck28.. I think it's a great question and I'd like to hear more about this from some of our other members.

I for one just started using the wind to my advantage about 2 full deer seasons ago, so I am no expert, but I am learning quickly. My first mature buck fell on the ground this last November while using a little wind advantage. As far as thermals, I think they are important to understand but tougher to hunt with.

I try to set up where a buck wants to enter or leavea field.. downwind or upwind of it.. depending on the situation. I hunt crosswind, that is to say, a wind notreally right for my hunting spot and notreally right for the buck either. Since I started doing this I have been closer to more bucks than at any other time during my hunting career. Like I said, it finally paid off in late November of this past season with a mature buck who came on a crosswind and eventually got downwind.. but it was too late.

..incidentally.. he is the buck in my avatar..
Old 05-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I try to do is hunt spots where if the deer does get upwind of me he is within 25 yards of me. Since I am 22 feet atthe high my scent will just blow over the deer. Since I hunt near a river I used it to my advantage. Once my Scent hits the river it just blows it right on down the valley

Deer may get behind me so I try and set it up so he can not catch my scent.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I attempt to do what dukemichaels is talking about.There is a great book,the title is Mapping Trophy Whitetails that devotes a lot of time to thermals and how the terrain structure effects wind.Great read and very helpful.
I do believe that to kill mature bucks your set up needs to be most often just about wrong in a cross wind position,a buck can scent check a much broader area using a cross wind versus working directly in to the wind.
You likely are already doing this but being a scent control fanatic isn't a bad idea either.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Nice buck duke. thankd for some good inof on this..... everyoen elses was making fun at the idea but i will derf have to try to set up in the crosswind..hopefully il have a big deer for the avator this year...