Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific??? >

Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Okay, maybe the guy at Everything Archery was right, but I don't know. I admit I'm new to this (5 months), but is it possible to be "too scientific" in your approach to getting the best hunting setup? When I was asking the owner about setting up hunting arrows to get the best FOC percentage, spine, and weight/KE combinations, he said "Don't take this the wrong way, but you're being way too scientific." I can see where he's coming from, but I disagree. If I had known what I know now when I first started, I would have saved a lot of time and money, and avoided a lot of stress.
Ihave two choices for pro shops in Memphis, TN.
The owner of one, where I got my Drenalin, is all about speed. Somehow, it seems to me that selling a new guy$100.00 worth of underspined arrows andconvincing him to use mechanical broadheads to hunt so that tuning isn't an issue is just wrong.
The owner of the other, who doesn't carry Mathews, despises the company. While he's technically very good, I had to listen to a 30 minute dissertation on Mathews "horrible" customer service and why he no longer sells them. Oh yeah, and I'm "too scientific" in my approach to bow hunting. I really got the impression that he didn't appreciate me asking technical questions that challenged his level of knowledge.
In my opinion, I need tolearn as much as I can so that I can go to these places, decide for myself what I need or what I need done, and disregard their "expert advice" that's based on bias towards a specific company or shooting method.
Okay, I'm finished venting. Any comments?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:34 AM

Default RE: Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

First of all this is mudheads wife had a question of my own. Just wanted to let you know that you are in the right place if you want to learn. Here's my suggestion. Post what kind of bow you have and accesories you want to know more about. Then you can decide what you want to do. I know how you feel in a sense. Being a woman I am very careful how I shop for my husbands things. I do my homework first before I go. I do the same when it comes to cars. My husband works a lot in the summer and doesn't like to always run on weekends so I call around to a bunch of places so I Know if they are trying to scam me. The one thing that comes up is the one thing I buy. So far it's worked.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 AM

K.I.S.S. ..... Keep It Simple Stupid

Forget all the gadgets, gizmos and trinkets. I have bowhunted for over 30 years and NEVER shot a bow through a chronograph. I think expandable broadheads should be outlawed because they are a chance that doesnt need to be taken. I have no idea about the kinetic energy of any set-up I have ever used. You have a good bow now just get some properly spined arrows and quality broadheads and start practicing. This aint rocket science. "Bowhunter" is a 2 part word, "bow" and "hunter". Too many focus too much attention on the "bow" part and neglect the "hunter" part. The more junk you have on your bow the more you have to go wrong at the moment of truth. The very best hunters that I know have the simplest bow set-ups. It doesnt matter how good you shoot your bow on the range, if you cant get game animals in range then you will never kill them and this is the same whether you are after a doe or a monster buck. Get a simple bow set-up, practice with it and focus on becoming a better hunter. You will be much more successful than if you switch this formula around. Good luck
Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Outdoor writer

Forget all the gadgets, gizmos and trinkets. I have bowhunted for over 30 years and NEVER shot a bow through a chronograph. I think expandable broadheads should be outlawed because they are a chance that doesnt need to be taken. I have no idea about the kinetic energy of any set-up I have ever used. You have a good bow now just get some properly spined arrows and quality broadheads and start practicing. This aint rocket science. "Bowhunter" is a 2 part word, "bow" and "hunter". Too many focus too much attention on the "bow" part and neglect the "hunter" part. The more junk you have on your bow the more you have to go wrong at the moment of truth. The very best hunters that I know have the simplest bow set-ups. It doesnt matter how good you shoot your bow on the range, if you cant get game animals in range then you will never kill them and this is the same whether you are after a doe or a monster buck. Get a simple bow set-up, practice with it and focus on becoming a better hunter. You will be much more successful than if you switch this formula around. Good luck
Very true and some sound advice, I used to use mechanicals and never really had a problem but after doing some experimenting with different fixed blades I found some I really like and have stuck with them ever since, the switch did help me realize my bow wasn't tuned as good as it could be and the mechanicals were hiding that a bit.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Dominant Buck

I used to use mechanicals and never really had a problem but after doing some experimenting with different fixed blades I found some I really like and have stuck with them ever since, the switch did help me realize my bow wasn't tuned as good as it could be and the mechanicals were hiding that a bit.
Ditto.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Outdoor writer,
K.I.S.S. is a very old acronymn to me. Hopefully, you're using it as a broad application and not directing it at me.

I understand what you said above and I agree one hundred percent,....with most of it. I don't have ANY gadgets on my bow. I have a short stabilizer, a sight, a rest,a loop and a peep. That's it, and that's all I want. Here'sa question for you, though. You said to get some properly spined arrows and quality broadheads and start practicing. To someone who is new, like myself, who is going to determine what a properly spined arrow is? The pro-shop owner? That didn't work for me. I doubt I would have ever been successful in getting a fixed blade broadhead to fly accurately with the underspined arrows I was sold. Yes, I know how fast I'm shooting and how much KE the arrow is packing, but I also know that speed is over-rated and just about everyone packs enough KE to get a passthrough on a whitetail deer.
For a new hunter following your above advice, I've got my properly spined arrows and quality broadheads. Do I just screw them on and practice,or are there some steps in there toproperly tune the broadheads? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to point out that to someone new, there are some steps in there to assembling a broadhead tipped arrowso that it willfly true that they don't know.
It pays to know some of those little details so that your broadhead practice isn't a discouragingexercise in frustration.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:42 AM

LittleCheif, the "stupid" part of the old saying was not directed at you or anyone else, it is just part of the saying.

When selecting arrows I go by the manufacturers reccomendation and go heavy if it is closeto a break-off point.There are good fixed blade heads that fly well and are tough. Have you tried Montecs by G-5? You do already have a lot of things figured out, like speed is way over rated.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don,
I knew you weren't aiming at me. I tried for years to apply the K.I.S.S method to Navy administration, but unfortunately, thesimplicity and the Navyaren't compatible.
Actually, one thing I did do saturday was buy two packages of 125 grain G-5 Montecs (from the anti-scientific guy). I removed the inserts from six arrows, cleaned them, squared the ends of the shafts and the inserts, and epoxied the inserts in so that the blades are all oriented the same, and they match the vanes. (I know this does nothing to improve, but it sure looks cool.) The arrows spin perfectly, and I can't wait to shoot them. Now that I have a proper setup, I can forget the technical stuff and just shoot.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:01 AM

Good luck and I am glad to see that you went with 125 grain heads instead of the lighter ones. I remember back when 125 grain was about as light as you could find and 150-185 was more the norm! I shoot the 125 montecs and have for several years now. They are the toughest heads I have ever shot and fly great.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Outdoor writer

Good luck and I am glad to see that you went with 125 grain heads instead of the lighter ones. I remember back when 125 grain was about as light as you could find and 150-185 was more the norm! I shoot the 125 montecs and have for several years now. They are the toughest heads I have ever shot and fly great.
me too

I am looking at the 125 striker this year. Those babies are sharp[8D]

Quick Reply: Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.