Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific??? >

Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Old 04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Thanks.
I have a couple of quick questions for you since you shoot Montecs. Do you practice with pre-season heads or do you use your hunting heads and sharpen them? Last question (hopefully): Do you think it's important that each BH be orientedso that they all launch with the blades in the same position? Not aligned with the fletching, naturally, but all positioned the same for consistency?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am a firm believer in people making things WAY more difficult than they need to be for hunting. Take any reputable broadhead on a shaft that is within reasonable spine for the draw weight and it isn't that difficult to tune the bow....as long as it isn't shooting REAL fast 290+. Sometimes at faster speeds things are a bit more touchy.
Aligning broadheads such that they are the same orientation coming off the bow as absurd IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aligning broadheads such that they are the same orientation coming off the bow as absurd IMO.
I understand. I asked the question because of my two pro-shops, one told me it had to be done and the other said it didn't matter. I was just wondering. I assembled my arrows that way purely to please my own eye. It may not help, but it can't hurt.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Knowing the technical aspects of your setup is a good thing IMO.

Knowing your speed and KE levels will do you no harm, but will give you more knowledge and understanding of your equipment. Knowledge is power. The more you know the better decisions you can and will make with equipment decisions.

I can tell you just about anything you want to know about my setup, and it won't negativly affect me at all come fall. It hasn't any other year [8D]
Old 04-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Knowing the technical aspects of your setup is a good thing IMO.
Knowing your speed and KE levels will do you no harm, but will give you more knowledge and understanding of your equipment. Knowledge is power. The more you know the better decisions you can and will make with equipment decisions.
Thank God someone agrees with me. I mean, what could possibly be wrong with knowing what makes the arrow fly straight to the target instead of just being happy that it hits?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 AM

I agree with outdoor writer to keep it simple. But i feel my setup is much better The sledgehammer is a rediculously good head and outdoor writer cant argue with the results
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with him too, and I think my setup is simple. I do, however, want to know everything about how it works, like what happens if the spine is too weak or too stiff, what happens when the F.O.C percentage changes, etc...
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

KE and all the other stuff comes second to accuracy and a comfortable bow for me. If I can get an arrow in the heart or double lung from 30 yards and closer, then the rest of the scientific stuff is just a bonus. I respect and admire those that take it to the next level of researching scientific information etc. Unfortuantely I have other stuff to do most of the time which requires betterpart of my time.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you there. KE, FPS, momentum.... that's interesting to know, but not that important to me. The other technical aspects are important to me, but I have way too much time on my hands during the day so I can pursue that. When I retire from active duty and get a "real job", I'm sure that will change.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know I am guilty of mucking things up by overanalyzing my set up, but I like to tinker so it keeps me occupied in the off-season. I believe the most important aspects of any set up are matching the arrows to the bow, and the shooter. Some arrows will simply fly better for certain guys dependant on their shooting style. Then tuning is the next most important thing. This should be easy with the right set up and arrows. Broadhead selection should be next and is dictated by several things. First speed. If you know your speed and it is slower, regardless of KE you can use fixed heads because at slower speeds they plane less. At higher speeds you can take advantage of the KE increase and avoid planing with expandable broadheads. I believe both have their place and will do the job so long as a quality head is chosen. Once the broadhead is picked practice with it so there are no questions as to where that arrow is going on release. Once this is done you are good to go. To me, that's as simple as it gets.

When I retire from active duty and get a "real job", I'm sure that will change.
Don't count on this, depending on what kind of job you get. You should talk to my buddy who is a retired chief. He hasn't picked up his bow in years.

Quick Reply: Questions/Issues.... Too Scientific???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.