Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are hunters selfish?? >

Are hunters selfish??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are hunters selfish??

Old 04-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are hunters selfish??

Yes, deep inside we all are. If we could hunt an entire area by ourselves almost 99% would not even blink an eye. When a picture shows up of a massive animal the first thing that goes through a person's mind is I wish I'd taken that one. It is a sad thing when an animal goes to waste, but how many animals get wounded everyyear and are lost to everyone because of poor shooting or circumstances. Here in Colorado the DOW's estimate to wounding loss is 15 to 20 percent of the total harvest. I'd say they are right on the money. But does anyone think of that when it comes to animals and wasted life.

I hear people saying what a waste of meat and that is true. But how many actually go out hunting with the thought of filling the freezer instead of the thought what if the big one shows up today. I think today's hunters don't have to rely on game to survive its a personal preference to do so. Saying that, in the future game might be what alot of people do survive on when the rich control how you live. But if meat was an issue I'd rather be caught poaching someone's cow than a deer or elk.

Which brings me to my next personal point of hunting. I enjoy eating elk,moose,whitetail,wildboar, and bison. Those are my personal choices of wild game that tastegood to me. Muledeer,antelope,bear, and caribou are not favorites of mine. Saying that do I still hunt the muleys,goats,bear, and caribou? Yes. This is where I become selfish. I will hunt them for the hunt. I still eat them but mostly I won't shoot something I'm not ready to hang on my wall. And to me that's being selfish. But also being conservationist minded to. If I don't see a decent animal I don't shoot. I perfer to let the smaller animals continue on living. But that's where it becomes hunting or counting coue if you prefer.

I'm not a trophy hunter or a waster of wildlife but I'm not one to fill freezers to the brim just for the sake of doing so. I hunt to hunt, I enjoy the challenge because it's not kill. Everyone knows that after the kill the enjoyment last's a short time and the work begins. Meat is the bottom line when everything is over that is how you pay your respects to the animal.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Outdoor writer

Isnt it funny how Altas wants to turnmy opinion of himinto my opinion of everyone else.
What's even funnier is that you base your opinions of hunters on whether or not people liked your book.........even though you have stated earlier that you don't care

Why should all of us thousands of "selfish" hunters be doing the work for the "lazy" hunters?
This is where you lose track of the topic because your mind IMMEDIATELY goes into negative gear about "other" hunters.......you have such tunnel vision that you can't even consider the possibility of other hunters NOT being lazy (and I'm sure many more negative things as well). You didn't even discuss either of the other scenerios I mentioned ( I wonder why??)

The question NEVER was why don't you just give away all your hard work and efforts to someone who is "lazy"........that's just what your mind turned it into.

I conciously try to avoid puting myself on a pedastal,
Like here for example??

Atlas tries to alienate me from others
You don't need my help Don.........you're doing fine all by yourself. The more you say the more clear the truth becomes.

ATLAS, ALL HUNTERS ARENT LAZY BUT THOSE WHO ARE DONT DESERVE TO HAVE OTHERS DO THEIR WORK FOR THEM.
Can you show me where anyone suggested someone needs to share their stands........or anything else for that matter with someone who is "lazy"??

Where did you read this??
Old 04-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you just come out and say it Atlas? Go ahead. It's actually rather easy. Like this.... Don, I think your book is terrible on many levels. Then quietly step away from the computer. It's OK, it really is. I mean you have already belittled him in front of so many here that you can't possibly be worried about hurting his feelings.

LT
Old 04-15-2007, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Why don't you just come out and say it Atlas? Go ahead. It's actually rather easy. Like this.... Don, I think your book is terrible on many levels. Then quietly step away from the computer. It's OK, it really is. I mean you have already belittled him in front of so many here that you can't possibly be worried about hurting his feelings.

LT

He knows that already.............and I couldn't care less about Don or his book. This is my thread and I am trying to keep it from getting derailed by his petty rants. I (and many others) happen to think it is a good topic.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, I forgot, this is your party and you can be biased against whoever YOU desire. Poor form.

LT

Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: LouisianaTomkat

Oh, I forgot, this is your party and you can be biased against whoever YOU desire. Poor form.

LT
No.........it's my thread and I would like it to stay on topic.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:46 AM

I let whoever use my stands, most of the land out here is crown land so I don't really have the right to say someone can't use it, if its there go ahead!!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Dominant Buck

No.........it's my thread and I would like it to stay on topic.
Now....I don't care WHO ya are.....that there's FUNNY!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I'm sorry Mr. Atlas. I forgot it was an untrashed thread about 3 pages back. That darn first amendment thingy, oh what did it say ......?

I'm Out.

LT
Old 04-15-2007, 09:00 AM

Geez, where are the moderators when you need them. I thought there is a bashing warning!!!

Quick Reply: Are hunters selfish??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.