Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical BH failure >

Mechanical BH failure

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical BH failure

Old 04-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Mechanical BH failure

Its so funny hoe people come up with all these situations where mechanicals fail when everyone knows fixed will also fail.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharpster

"I never had one fail. I will say this, Every time I shot a Rocket mechanical it would severely bend the blades or break them off. They were only good for one shot."

If the blades bend or break or shear off, then they're not even good for that one shot.

Nothing out-performs a solid two blade conventional broadhead. Nothing.

-Sharpster

The Rockets do not hold together, that's for sure. From what I read, they were designed that way. I forget where I read that though.

I actually liked their performance on deer. Whether the blades broke or bent the result was a dead deer, in my case.

What I didn't like was replacing blades after they were shot.

I used them longer than I've used other blades and have taken more deer with them.

Like I said, I liked their performance. Large entry hole, good blood trail and I rarely tracked one more than about 50 yards.

I even shot through shoulder blades on a few deer that were within 20 yards and quartering toward me. I know it is a poor shotangle and I'll hear some flack, but I admit, I did it and had very good results.

I would not attempt a shot like that with other heads, especially a fixed blade. Because a fixed blade is so sturdy and won't sheer blades, it will wedge itself in bone and not penetrate.

I only took very close quarting toward shots and did not attempt shots farther than 20 yds.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put it this way Bry, I know I'm not the first or the last guy here to take a straight-down, walking straight-awaychip shot (10 yds or less) into the spinal column. A couple inches left or right puts it straight down through the chest cavity. A dead center hit crushes thevertebral bodies at impact, separating the spinal columnand immobilizing the deer in its tracks. The vitals from directly above areclose tothe same size as they are from abroadside treestand shot. There's really not all that much less to aim at.
QS, we've both been around this forum long enough to know not to criticize individuals for shot selection, but to look at the shot selection itself. So, please don't take that as a knock on you. I'm sure that if you felt anything less than confident in your ability to make the clean kill you would not have taken it. The straight down spine shot is always a tricky one, because the spine can stop an arrow dead cold no matter what head you are using, and if you miss it to the side you can at best hope for a one lung hit. While lethal (most times) it is not the most preferred scenario. I have trust that when you choose to take that shot it is a last resort and you are as sure as you can be that it will result in meat in the freezer. Besides, I'm not gonna knock someone from my hometown too hard.

Windwalker had an intersting post, so I'm going to go through all of the broadheads that I have shot and the results I have had.

Bear Razors-Miss

NAP Razorbak 5 blades-No shot

NAP ThunderHeads-unrecovered 8 point (gut shot)

Punchcutters-2 button bucks, 1 doe(all recovered within 65 yards)

Puckett's Bloodtrailers-1 groundhog, 1 racoon (too afraid to use them on deer)

Muzzy 4 Blade 90 grain-1 hog, 1 lost 7 point (gut shot)

Rocky MountainRevolutions-1 button buck, 1 spike, 1 non-typical odd rack buck

Rocky Mountain Snypers-2 doe, 1 6 point

Rocket Steel Heads-1 lost doe (very poor penetration after hitting shoulder joint)

NAP Spitfires-1 doe, 1 button buck, 1 8 point buck

So, I think it's safe to say that no matter what head you use, if you do your job the broadhead will do its job. Yes, because of mechanicals' design they are more likely to have damage if they are put in the wrong place, but that is not to say that the same shot would result in a successful harvest with another head. Besides it is our duty to make sure that we do our part to make sure our equipment does its. We should not count on our equipment to account for our lack of practice or skill. That is, do not count on a mechanical to make up for a poorly tuned bow, and don't count on a fixed blade head to punch through bone on a poorly placed shot. While both may do this effectively, we should do everything within our power to make sure they do not have to.

OK, soapbox session over. Thanks for indulging me.