Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mechanical BH failure >

Mechanical BH failure

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical BH failure

Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mechanical BH failure

ORIGINAL: gutshot

Before I went back to Muzzy's I used to shoot Wasp Jak Hammers mechanicals in one season I had 4 shots wherethe blades opened in flight. Nothing will screw up your arrow flight more than a mechanical broadhead that the blades open in flight.
I have to know,how did you know it opened in flight?

I have had one problem with mechanicals andone problem with fixed.The expandableI recovered and the fixed I did not.I had a blade come off on impact once but the shot was perfect and the deer was recovered.Rocket was more than fair with me when they sent me a new package of a different model.Apparently there was a problem with that particular model.

The fixed was a Thunderhead and it caught whatI believe was the back of the shoulder and I found the arrow about 30 yards down the trail.The head was twisted beyond belief.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

TFOX, I had sort of a similar problem with rockets. I bought a pack of 100 grain steel heads I believe and all the blades fit loose in the grooves. I didnt like that one bit and emailed rocket about the problem and they said as long as they werent falling out it was fine.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the Steelheads and haven't had a single problem with them.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason I am curious about knowing if the heads open or not is because I have purposely left the bands off mine before and had NO problems with flight.I do use smaller cut steelheads though.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stand corrected, I was shooting the ultimate steels I believer they were called. Sollid steel with the bacon skinner blades.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I stand corrected, I was shooting the ultimate steels I believer they were called. Sollid steel with the bacon skinner blades.

Aren't those fixed heads.[8D]
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

yes, and the blades were rattling cause they were so loose. In my amazment rocket said it was fine.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used several mechanicals over the years.

Punchcutters

Rocket Miniblasters 3L

Wasp Jak-Hammers

along with several fixed blades

Thunderhead 125's

Satelites

Wasp Cam-Loks

Muzzy 75's

I've taken many deer with each head. I've taken most with Rocket Miniblasters. Not sure how many but probably around 20 with just that head.

I never had one fail. I will say this, Every time I shot a Rocket mechanical it would severely bend the blades or break them off. They were only good for one shot.

Idid read somewhere, that the Rocket blades were designed to bend and break as to not stop penetration. They wanted the arrow to keep penetrating and not to get wedged and stop.

One other problem with some mechanicals is on very sharp angles. They will slide along theyrib cage, instead of penetrating sometimes. Ive had this happen twice.

Below is a pic of what a Rocket did on a sharp angle. It really sliced open a heck of an entrance wound. Yes, that is the entrance wound.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:36 AM

"I never had one fail. I will say this, Every time I shot a Rocket mechanical it would severely bend the blades or break them off. They were only good for one shot."

If the blades bend or break or shear off, then they're not even good for that one shot.

Nothing out-performs a solid two blade conventional broadhead. Nothing.

-Sharpster

Old 04-14-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

cant go wrong with fixed broadheads

Quick Reply: Mechanical BH failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.