HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Mechanical BH failure
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Windwalker7
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mechanical BH failure

ORIGINAL: Sharpster

"I never had one fail. I will say this, Every time I shot a Rocket mechanical it would severely bend the blades or break them off. They were only good for one shot."

If the blades bend or break or shear off, then they're not even good for that one shot.

Nothing out-performs a solid two blade conventional broadhead. Nothing.

-Sharpster

The Rockets do not hold together, that's for sure. From what I read, they were designed that way. I forget where I read that though.

I actually liked their performance on deer. Whether the blades broke or bent the result was a dead deer, in my case.

What I didn't like was replacing blades after they were shot.

I used them longer than I've used other blades and have taken more deer with them.

Like I said, I liked their performance. Large entry hole, good blood trail and I rarely tracked one more than about 50 yards.

I even shot through shoulder blades on a few deer that were within 20 yards and quartering toward me. I know it is a poor shotangle and I'll hear some flack, but I admit, I did it and had very good results.

I would not attempt a shot like that with other heads, especially a fixed blade. Because a fixed blade is so sturdy and won't sheer blades, it will wedge itself in bone and not penetrate.

I only took very close quarting toward shots and did not attempt shots farther than 20 yds.