Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Mechanical BH-75% failure rate!!!!!!! >

Mechanical BH-75% failure rate!!!!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mechanical BH-75% failure rate!!!!!!!

Old 10-02-2002, 12:32 PM
CG

Default Mechanical BH-75% failure rate!!!!!!!

Well my archery season is officially over. This is really my first season experimenting with mechanicals. I started out with 2 mechanical heads (RM Snypers & GT SilverTips) and 1 fixed (Muzzy 100 gr. 4-blade). I had all three heads shooting the same spots so they were interchangeble. Well the first failure was on and elk that a buddy shot and I already posted about it. Perfect shot, perfectly broadside. Tip of the Snyper sheared off. Luckily the elk fell on the arrow and caused the arrow to penetrate both lungs resulting in the recovery of the 5x5 bull. (I shot a spike elk the next weekend with the muzzy. Complete pass-through 60 yard recovery.) The next animal was a coyote called in to about 20 yards and was shot in the neck with a Snyper tipped arrow. The tip of the Snyper was bent fully 90 degrees and penetrated about halfway throught he neck of the coyote. Coyote was recovered because the near side Jugular was severed. The third animal shot with a mechanical head was a coyote called in to about 8 yards and was shot just above the right eye. The Snyper penetrated the front of the skull and was indbedded in the back of the skull. The Snyper was completely intact and was actually used on an "attempt" (read miss) at another coyote the same day. The final animal shot with a mech. was a 5x5 mule deer last weekend. The broadhead used was the GT SilverTip. The deer jumped the string and was shot high in the rib cage. The deer was tracked over the next 2 days for about 4 miles. Yesterday, I shot the same deer on the opening day of rifle season. Inspection showed the broadhead was imbedded in the far rib UNOPENED (yes I tested the head before using it)! The top of the lungs had been hit but it was more of a tear than a cut (obviously..the blades didn't open)and had started to form scar tissue. Three of the four mechs that were shot into animals failed in respect to construction but 3 of the four animals shot were recovered. However I would definately say at least one (the first elk mentioned above) of the recoveries was a total fluke and another of the non-recoveries was partly my fault due to shot placement/animal movement (mule deer) BUT what if the blades had opened???. Now I know that somewhere along the lines of this thread I'll be called a liar, a poor hunter, a muzzy rep, or something worse I'm sure, but this is my experiences with mechs and I can say I'm not impressed. I will not say I'll never shot mechanical broadheads again. I truly believe that the Snyper is a fantastic design and will be a VERY good head when the issue with the tip strength is addressed. When this issue is fixed I will definately give that head another try. Until then I will shoot only fixed blade heads. The only reason I put this thread on is so people can see some real world application of mechs. I'm sure for my story there are a dozen that have killed every animal shot and performed flawlessly. To them I'm glad for their good fortune. My experience was not good and you can take that for what it is worth.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 10-02-2002, 12:37 PM

Default RE: Mechanical BH-75% failure rate!!!!!!!

Precisely why I would NEVER shoot mechanicals. Why chance it?

Hunt the thickets
Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM

CG, it's too bad that you had a bad experience. I honestly feel sorry that these kind of experiences occur, but that's the only way that WE, as a group of enthusiasts can share and enlighten others.

That being said, I've been reading 5shot's post regarding BH's. I've gotten friends opinions as well, and have chosen a certain type of mechanical (no names mentioned) for certain reasons. They are extremely accurate, tough little buggars. Not quite as sharp as they could be, but that's OK.

Perhaps, in the off season, you might look into other designs and might find something that would appeal to you...

the point that I'm trying to make is not to give up completely - look what happened to the first compound bow that came out: everyone probably thought "Not likely!".....

Jim.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:25 PM
Typical Buck

I have to question whether you have enough KE to make the mechanicals work properly.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:28 PM

I've never heardof them mechanicals, but I SHOOT Rockets and their pretty damn good when you put it where it belongs!!
Old 10-02-2002, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had a problem with the Revolutions on deer. But I would never trust a mechanical on an elk or anything bigger than a deer. I don't care what mechanical it is, currently on the market or a new one that may come out in the future. Bones are to thick on those big critters.

Sorry to hear of your bad reports on the function of the broadheads.

I bought and liked the one package of Revolutions that I had, but I won't purchase anymore mechanicals. I will stick with my fixed blades. Even though I made 3 good kills with the pack I had. Just my personal preference.

My Web Page
www.geocities.com/hfpmad

Old 10-02-2002, 02:07 PM
CG

slicendice,
The first elk mentioned was shot by a buddy shooting about 58 ft/lbs. Marginal I know but the tip sheared off so how would more KE have kept the tip from coming off? As for the last three animals, they were shot with my bow shooting an 450 gr. arrow at 280 fps. That's 78 ft/lbs. of KE.....I would guess that should be plenty.....

Old 10-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-02-2002, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

"The next animal was a coyote called in to about 20 yards and was shot in the neck with a Snyper tipped arrow. The tip of the Snyper was bent fully 90 degrees and penetrated about halfway throught he neck of the coyote."

CG,
I have to be frank with you, I find this to be completely unbelievable. It doesn't match my field experience with this head. I've seen one take out a whitetail spine. And I've seen it explode a rib on exit, with the only discernable effect to the head being a dulling of the blades. The only way that I've been able to damage this head is to put it into concrete.

Maybe you got a bad batch. Did you talk to Rocky Mountain about this?

Edited by - Buckfevr on 10/02/2002 15:11:58

Edited by - Buckfevr on 10/02/2002 16:54:12
Old 10-02-2002, 02:24 PM
CG

Well it didn't take very long to be called a liar.....I have a picture of that head Buckfevr......I'll get it posted in the next few days.....right now it is packeaged to go to RM because they want to see it.......Honestly folks everything I've said is true!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have absolutely no reason to lie!!!!! I'm not against mechanical use, I'm just relaying my experience......I'm glad yours hada better outcome.....

Quick Reply: Mechanical BH-75% failure rate!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.