Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 fixed blade vs mechanical >

fixed blade vs mechanical

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fixed blade vs mechanical

Old 04-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fixed blade vs mechanical

I haven't noticed much of a difference in the end result of either fixed or mechanical broadheads, as long as I did my part on putting that arrow where it belongs.

Most of the "failure" arguements I have heard or read about mechanicals are almost always on poor shots. There are plenty of deer shot with high powered rifles each year, that are shot poorly, and lost. Its not the bullet, its the shooter. And in most "broadhead failure" cases, its the Indian, not the arrow.

I have, however, seen some of the larger, two blade expandables sheer off their blades, which renders them as useful as a sharp field point. The offending broadhead was a Rage 2 blade, but the deer was dead inside of 100 yards just the same. Beware of what grade of steel your blades are made of (and that goes for all broadheads).

I like expandables (Rocket Hammerhead 100gr 2" cut) for turkey's. I have taken deer with Hyper Shocks as well. But in general, for big game (deer and larger), I prefer a cut on contact blade that I can sharpen myself, in my case, its either Simmons Sharks or G5 Montecs.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Both. Fixed for deer and hogs. Mechanicals for Turkey. Better penetration with fixed, not to say ive not taken my share of deer with mechanicals, but I like fixed for larger game.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

I haven't noticed much of a difference in the end result of either fixed or mechanical broadheads, as long as I did my part on putting that arrow where it belongs.

Most of the "failure" arguements I have heard or read about mechanicals are almost always on poor shots. There are plenty of deer shot with high powered rifles each year, that are shot poorly, and lost. Its not the bullet, its the shooter. And in most "broadhead failure" cases, its the Indian, not the arrow.

I have, however, seen some of the larger, two blade expandables sheer off their blades, which renders them as useful as a sharp field point. The offending broadhead was a Rage 2 blade, but the deer was dead inside of 100 yards just the same. Beware of what grade of steel your blades are made of (and that goes for all broadheads).

I like expandables (Rocket Hammerhead 100gr 2" cut) for turkey's. I have taken deer with Hyper Shocks as well. But in general, for big game (deer and larger), I prefer a cut on contact blade that I can sharpen myself, in my case, its either Simmons Sharks or G5 Montecs.
I agree for the most part. I quit using mechanicals on deer and hog about two years ago. I had some steal heads only penetrate about two inches with prefect heart shots on 2 deer and 1 hog, at only 20 yards or less. Ive never had that problem with muzzys, sonics, or slick tricks. I have taken my share of game with mechanicals, and will not try to talk anyone out of using them, but I have had penetration problems with them. Ive had lots of problems with them on hogs. Ive found that if you use mechanicals on large game, stick with double lungers. Its easier to penetrate. The best mechanical ive used on large game has been Nap spitfires. They hit pretty solid. Even at that, ive decided to stick with what works best. Now for turkey, a mechanical with a two inch+ cut is great. Lack of penetration is actually a good thing on a turkey.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html