Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 why a fixed blade and why a mechanical? >

why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:25 PM

Default why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

Now that I can truely practice with effiency, I am pondering the use of fixed and mechanicals. I seem to get very close groups with both kinds of tips but a question bug was put in my ear this afternoon from my uncle. He asked me that if I can get a fixed to group well, why even think about something that could fail you upon entry? I know that the technology between todays mechanicals and those of the past are like the difference of a tape and a cd, no comparison but I thought I would toss this out and get some varied opinions. By the way I am leaning on the muzzy 100 gr 3 blade, not to be confused with the mx3!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

You can usualy get larger cutting diameters with expandables than you can with fixed blades. Fixed blades are usualy a more durable head than expandables but tend to catch the wind more when shooting in breezy conditions. I could keep going all day but what it really boils down to is what you feel is best for your situation. I am shooting expandables out of one of my bows this year and fixed out of my other.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Expandables will still have better flight characteristics than a fixed.Even if the fixed is tuned to perfection.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

He asked me that if I can get a fixed to group well, why even think about something that could fail you upon entry?
Couldn't have said it better myself. Excelent advice!
Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The good expandables have proven very reliable compared to models manufactured even a few years ago. I've always been a "Fixed are better and I'd never own a mechanical" guyuntil I read and saw enough positives about the Piston Points to give them a try. Plus, I love to tinker and wanted to try something different that I still knew would be reliable.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Expandables will still have better flight characteristics than a fixed.Even if the fixed is tuned to perfection.

VERY TRUE, and exactly why I have BOTH in my quiver as I head to the woods, with calm winds, a Fixed flys great, add a little 15mph crosswind, and that Fixed head ain't gonna hit the same spot it would in calm conditions!!! If you have Rage 2-blades, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't use them, but that's just my $.02, but I'd still tune the bow to shoot Fixed BH's because if you do, then you have your bow much more fine-tuned. And will get better accuracy overall with FP, or Fixed and Mech. BH's.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly what everyone should do. Tune for fixed. Even with good mechanicals cross winds can cause problems and the better the bow is tuned the better any arrow will fly.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was fixed a guyfor more than 23 years untill I saw the hole a mech. put in my buddies buck 6 years ago. Since I have changed over to mech I have only had 1 deer die out of sight. But my main reason is every broadhead out there will kill a deer quick when you hit it in the boiler room, But it is when something goes terribly wrong and you make a bad shot that the mech shines with the huge holes you put into the deergives you a better chance that the deer will still bleed out!! Walt
Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM

There is a link to an article in a Momentum vs Kinetic Energy discussion that talks about mechanicals and fixed blades. Its worth a read! I am by no means starting up that discussion or a penetration discussion again but that article had some good insights, just though you might want to check it out. Fixed blades for me, but I suppose if I were taking 50 yd shots I would like mechanicals as well for a little less wind sheer.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am actually tuned to fixed heads now but am thinking of trying the rage out this year....

Quick Reply: why a fixed blade and why a mechanical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.