Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

gmmat seems stuck on his muzzy broad heads for some reason.
Because they've never failed me......and they've been tested. That's the BEST reason I can think of!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The last piece of cast iron I shotjust wouldn't die, had to shoot it three times. Maybe where you live the deer are steel plated, but mine aren't. The last piece of cast iron I shotjust wouldn't die, had to shoot it three times. Maybe where you live the deer are steel plated, but mine aren't. I may be one of the few that doesn't take too much stock in what a blade does through steel..

Me either.

I do however, for the animal/heavy bonepenetration part,believe in the proven research done on actual animals (Dr. Ashby).

For the deer/elk seasons that I used to use Stos two bladed heads, I personally found them to go through game like butter. Never found the need totry to shoot between ribs or such. Problem I had with them were lacking blood trails, even on double lunged animals. Since then, I have moved to Phantom/Stinger four blade, and havehad much better trails.

However, when Igo after moose, I will be back to thetwo bladed/non-vented heads for max penetration.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob:

By chance......are you basing your opinions and information off of traditional equipment? Just curious.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob:

By chance......are you basing your opinions and information off of traditional equipment? Just curious.
Yes, and no.

When I based my decision to use a two bladed COC for moose, then yes, it was. I wouldn't have a problem using a variety of other heads if I was using a compound.

FWIW, in the pictures that I posted earlier, I have used the head that "exploded" upon impact on deer. I had used that head in the past on deer, and have never experienced a problem.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

But if you research the Muzzy, well there some good info there too...
Muzzy has always worked fine for me for anything in North America. It's just when you get to the extremes on big game animals when you really want to know what is proven.

Below is a little research I did on a Muzzy 145 grain. It speaks for itself. The muzzy was shot out of a 70# Parker Bow, 32 inch draw. It was shot at a piece of cast iron, the head below that was shot the same way, it was a 135 grain head (I'll keep it nameless):

Bob we did a similar test, and the above head did the same thing.

In case anybody is wondering the head that exploded is the InnerLoc.

The cool thing we fond is the the G5 two blade head stuck into the cast iron. The montec tip bent a bit, butwas still intact and stuck.

I have tested about every head on the market[8D](no mechs)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Yeah, Germ.....but you shot it out of a ROSS!!

By the time your bow got that arrow to the sheet metal.....it was OBVIOUSLY on a downward path (due to the tremendous amount of arc that occurs with any projectile shot out of a ROSS).

Apples and Oranges.....

Old 03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info Germ.

Did you modify the tip on the 2 blade at all?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

No it did not!!!! The head looked like new.

I was shooting my Hoyt when I did th test, hell my ROSS would have looped over it[:-]