Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-26-2007, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

The Shuttle just looks SOLID!!!.........look forward to shooting these.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I've always used COC, except one season. But certainly not opposed to new ideas.
Chris:

I use what I use (Muzzy's) for one reason. When I look at what's making the way for the business side of those razors......I like what I see with them. Sure....if you're a perfect shot......and you can positively be assured of placing your broadhead tip between two ribs......or positively know you're not going to hit a shoulder.......then that sharp point is great.

If you're like me....and only wish you were that good....."I" like the fact that I've got the MASS (and I also use 125gr) to get through bone when I'm not perfect (and I was glad I had it, last year).

Would I have taken as many deer last year with a COC head? Maybe. I just look at it like this........

If I were going to try to bust through an animal's ribcage......what would I rather utilize?? If Ionly hit flesh......it's a moot point.

I'm also not trying to say thatCOC heads won't cut through bone. Not at all. I just look at the tools that are available to do the job.....and the chisel point I utilizeappears better suited for the job of going through bone. Also....like I said earlier.....my setup may be different from yours. My arrow's packing a pretty goodwallop.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

"Easton 2215s GGII with Old Satellite Titans, whichare pretty heavy. (I want to say 150-175 gr.?) All-in-All, pretty heavy set-up which equals SLOW. This is all from memory....Plenty ofKE for it's day."

I have read quite a few posts about bow and arrow performance, virtually all of which reference Kinetic Energy and the criteria for judgement. Certainly that is an important consideration. However, when discussing penetration, as in this post, kinetic enerty is not the appropriate criteria for consideration - momentum is! To use an anology, suppose you are sitting at an intersection in your truck, when you are hit, head on, by a Volkswagen traveling at 75 mph. Certainly a bad deal, however consider you are at the same intersection in the same truck and are involved in, yet another, accident. Only this time you are hit head on by a train traveling at the same 75 mph. You have a chance of survival in the wreck with the VW, on the other hand, the wreck with the train and - hello St. Peter. The difference in the argument is the momentum of the two objects. One take home argument in that analogy for the bowhunter is that there is a price to pay in trading mass for speed. The reason you had good luck with your old set-up is the great momentunof your projectile.All that said (yes it is a mouthful),don't just get an 85 grain broadhead simply because they go faster without being aware of the fact that in so doing one pays the price of loss of momentum.Momentum= penetration. Penetration= dead critter!!
Old 03-27-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure....if you're a perfect shot......and you can positively be assured of placing your broadhead tip between two ribs......or positively know you're not going to hit a shoulder.......then that sharp point is great.
I'm also not trying to say thatCOC heads won't cut through bone. Not at all.
OK, I'm confused.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

OK, I'm confused.
OK......about what? Really, Bob....the statements don't contradict themselves. I stated my OPINION on why I shoot a chisel point. There are MANY whose opinions (and likely tests) differ from mine. I wouldn't ever discount the validity of COC claims or the successes many have experienced. I only stated WHY I utilize what I do.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use any broadhead you like on your arrows, but finish the job with the blade in your hand!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude,
They'll argue about anything!

The chisel was created because the COC's fail (when they hit bone, often, but not always).

You're basically going to hit one of two things or both; soft tissue or bone. One arrow head is really good at hitting one of the two, the other is really good at hitting both. You pick!
Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I understand clearly what you are saying here:

I'm also not trying to say thatCOC heads won't cut through bone. Not at all.

Not so clear here.

Sure....if you're a perfect shot......and you can positively be assured of placing your broadhead tip between two ribs......or positively know you're not going to hit a shoulder.......then that sharp point is great.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

So much for "lurking"....
Old 03-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Bob.....I don't mean this as confrontational by ANY stretch.....but just what part of that statement (which is, admittedly, an OPINION) do you have trouble with?

I've stated that "I" have more confidence in a chisel point (or its' equivalent) when it comes to direct contact with something other than flesh. That is ALL.

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.