Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Cut on Contact?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Cut on Contact?

What type of head are you referring to inyour statement? Whatever head you are referring to, why does it have to be placed between ribs? What kind of animal ribs are you referring to?

Sure....if you're a perfect shot......and you can positively be assured of placing your broadhead tip between two ribs......or positively know you're not going to hit a shoulder.......then that sharp point is great.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm assuming we're talking about the whitetail deer, here, Bob.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

If anyone is interested in some good reading on Broadhead Performance/Heavy Bone Impacts/Heavy Game Penetration/Kenetic Energy and Momentum, I'd suggest taking a look at Dr. Ashby's Studies and updates. It's the real deal. He's done all of his research and testing on animals. Unfortunately, he can not do the studies here in the US as law forbids. You'd might be surprised how COC broadheads do in his tests.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

If anyone is interested in some good reading on Broadhead Performance/Heavy Bone Impacts/Heavy Game Penetration/Kenetic Energy and Momentum, I'd suggest taking a look at Dr. Ashby's Studies and updates. It's the real deal. He's done all of his research and testing on animals. Unfortunately, he can not do the studies here in the US as law forbids. You'd might be surprised how COC broadheads do in his tests.

You go ahead, I'm sure the statistics show COC's as being better. I'll do my own investigating and see if he's a share holder in any of the COC companies.

Just kidding man, I really don't care what anyone uses. But if you research the Muzzy, well there some good info there too...
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

But if you research the Muzzy, well there some good info there too...
Muzzy has always worked fine for me for anything in North America. It's just when you get to the extremes on big game animals when you really want to know what is proven.

Below is a little research I did on a Muzzy 145 grain. It speaks for itself. The muzzy was shot out of a 70# Parker Bow, 32 inch draw. It was shot at a piece of cast iron, the head below that was shot the same way, it was a 135 grain head (I'll keep it nameless):

Old 03-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is a good display of rapid deceleration...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Thanks guys, lots of good stuff to think about.
I'm trying to find that "balance" between speed, KE, and penetration. Penetration hopefully being all the way throuh. Two holes are better than one (HMMMM). For bloodtrails that is...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

But if you research the Muzzy, well there some good info there too...
Muzzy has always worked fine for me for anything in North America. It's just when you get to the extremes on big game animals when you really want to know what is proven.

Below is a little research I did on a Muzzy 145 grain. It speaks for itself. The muzzy was shot out of a 70# Parker Bow, 32 inch draw. It was shot at a piece of cast iron, the head below that was shot the same way, it was a 135 grain head (I'll keep it nameless):

The last piece of cast iron I shotjust wouldn't die, had to shoot it three times. Maybe where you live the deer are steel plated, but mine aren't. I may be one of the few that doesn't take too much stock in what a blade does through steel.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Muzzy Phantoms, enough said................
Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM

gmmat seems stuck on his muzzy broad heads for some reason. lot's of people i know could never get them to fly right. And last year i shot a 2315 with a 100gr steel force cut on contact through both shoulders of a 130lb doe and the only damage to the head was broken bleader blades. both front shoulders were shattered and the deer only went 10 yards

Quick Reply: Cut on Contact?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.