HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:21 PM
kshunter
Nontypical Buck

Default Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

One thing i've noticed over the years, from talking with friends and other hunters, is that often times their biggest buck came from their first or 2nd year of hunting.... Of course this isn't always the case, but this got me thinking. Do new hunters sometime have an advantage over the hunters who have years of experience?

From my personal experience... sometimes I seem to over-analyze. In my earlier years of hunting I would look at a field, decide where to hang a stand (Knowing little why I chose the spot) and sure enough, if usually ended up being a great spot. Nowadays, there are times I hang a stand & later on in the hunt, think... now why did I hang it here and not in that obvious spot on the other corner of the field? I didn't know how to hunt with scent control, hunt the wind, or really any of the strategies I use nowadays. But remember always being on big bucks...

I have several close hunting friends... all which have harvested their BIGGEST bucks ever, in their first 1 or 2 years of ever deer hunting. What do you think, do experience hunters sometimes over-analyze things resulting in lower success?

I would love to know your thoughts.