Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones? >

Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are NEW hunters better than experienced ones?

ORIGINAL: kshunter

One thing i've noticed over the years, from talking with friends and other hunters, is that often times their biggest buck came from their first or 2nd year of hunting.... Of course this isn't always the case, but this got me thinking. Do new hunters sometime have an advantage over the hunters who have years of experience?
IMHO, those people had to learn from someone, didn't they? Did they learn from experienced hunters or inexperienced ones?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love deer hunting, it fills my brain all year long. The only other thing that i enjoy more in the outdoors than trying to track down a buck is professional big game fishing. Granted i know ALOTmore aboutmarlin fishing than i do about hunting, but there are similarities. I have been fortunate enough to travel the world and fish for billfish in most of the big name spots you can read about and in many others that you will never hear about. Ive been lucky enough to set records and win tournaments. Over the years ive been a "hired gun" to come in and fish on peoples boats to help them win tourneys as well. That all being said in any given tournament, no matter how many boats are out fishing, 9 times out of 10, there are only a handful that have any reasonable chance of winning a tourney. Its all about time on the pond (woods in this case) and experience gained through it. Sure someone might get lucky every now and then, but i wouldnt go betting on it. In fishing there is a saying and i think it applies to hunting big bucks as well, it goes...... 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish. Seams about right to me. Every year where i hunt, its the same guys who seem to harvest the biggest bucks. Sure there might be a random guy here and there who kills a brute, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the "usual suspects" will have theirpicture up in the pro shot with some serious bone in their hands.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I MOST cases getting a big one early in ones career is dumb luck.

However I do feel that with the internet, high deer populationsand ease of gaining information regarding bowhunting, that the learning curve for a new guy starting out is tremendously shortened.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:36 PM

In short----no. They are just luckier or seem that way. Take Tony Lovstuen for example.

I for one am 15 though and am a much better deerhunter than many "experienced" people I know. Don't underestimate age. Some kids learn quicker and are more determined than older guys.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first deer is by far the largest I have ever shot. Large Mule deer with my old bear 45 pound bow. I have yet to harvest anything close to the size of that deer. I had a couple close encounters of deer that large but never got a shot op.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kid, most of us were killing bucks when you were still crapping yellow. The answer is NO!
Old 03-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming that you keep your interest, you'd continue to learn, as well as gain experience. I guess I'm having trouble understanding how knowledge and experience can have a negative impact on anything?

I know this.When I was a boy/young man, I thought my dad was a terrible hunter, cause he never killed crap, that I saw, but later learned that he didn't kill crap while I was there because of me!
When I was twenty I didn't agree with my opinions from when I was ten.
When I was thirty I didn't agree with my opinions from when I was twenty.
I'm thirty four now, and I'm pretty sure that I won't agree with what I'm saying now when I'm forty!
So do me a favor and forget what I just said...
Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 PM

I think that the "new" people have more drive but, experienced hunters have more dedication!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like to think of it as stepping outside of the box. I think sometimes the big boys are where you would not think they are and the young hunter ends up hunting there and scoring because he does not yet know how to hunt where MOST of the deer are. If we experienced hunters could step outside of the box once in awhile and take a closer look around, then mabey we could bring home more bigger mature bucks. just my .02 cents